News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Quote from: merithyn on April 30, 2011, 12:19:55 PM
I'm tired. My body hurts. My feet have blisters. But damnit, I did it... and in the time I wanted, too.

Unofficial time: 3:22

13.1 miles is a LONG fucking way
Congrats! Half a marathon isn't something you run without having trouble walking down stairs afterwards.

Ideologue

I always thought people walked at about 5mph.  Is this not actually true?

Edit: oh, it's five kilometers an hour.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

15 minute miles are a pretty good pace for walking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2011, 04:39:52 PM
15 minute miles are a pretty good pace for walking.

We thought so. Max beat us by about five minutes. He'd have done better but he stayed behind a good while to make sure my friend and I were okay.

We're already planning on next year. Christ, we're masochists....  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

I consider moving my exercise to a quasi-daily schedule. I find that biking for 45-60 minutes three times a week takes a bit too much spare time out of me. I consider going daily Mon-Fri, with rest on Sat/Sun; keeping the weight exercises as are (3 sets of 10 repetitions for 5 exercises for the upper body) and moving to 25-30 minutes of biking per day, with maybe a harder program.

Any comments from the training experienced crowd?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

That's an amazing time Meri, I did the first half of last year's marathon in 3:15, and that was run-walk intervals :blush:

Got my half in October, I'm aiming for 2:45, again doing run/walk intervals.

Syt, go for it but try to keep up a minimum of 30 minutes. Try the first half at steady state then do really tough intervals, say sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds, recover for 90 seconds, go on as high a resistance as you can for 30 seconds, rest for 90, rinse and repeat. Umm, this is if you're on an exercise bike, if outside seek out hills.

Also no need for a complete day off, just have an easy walk or swim if you fancy, keeps the metabolism up on your rest day without tiring you out.

Try exercises that combine an aerobic element with resistance. I'm massively into kettlebell swings at the moment. 3 * 30 of those suckers using as heavy a weight as you can manage and you'll really feel it!

Off running before it gets too hot. After a warm-up, I've got intervals of 10, 15, 20 and 10 minutes running. Taking water!

Syt

Thanks for the suggestions, B. My current program on the exercise bike is seven minutes on Level 3, then going up in steps to 7, then back down to 5 and again up to 10 where I stay for 2 minutes before going back to 3. I try to maintain ca. 85-90 rpm, or 30+ kph of speed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jamesww

Tested the old bike out, (and me), to see if it was up to some cycle touring; loaded it up with 45lbs of panniers and equipment, left home at 4.15pm, headed over to the dorset downlands, found the old roman road, fairly tough going, eventually got to the campsite at just before 8pm, had an uneventful night.

Left just after noon next day, got a fair way down to roman road before having to turn off, conditions got a bit worse, very hot for a early may day, I've never seen the countryside this dry, the chalk tracks had turned to something approaching concrete with flints sticking out of it, eventually had to abandon the uplands before my tires were torn to pieces, so headed down to the tarrant river valley before making my way home along the old road by the Stour. 

Made it home without a single puncture !

By my estimate I covered about 63 miles in the 24 hour period, though the off road miles were a lot harder, 45lbs of kit is definitely too much to carry on one bike for someone of my age.  :Embarrass:

edit:
boring video of bike trip:
edit:
a 'third' video isn't of me being the worst for wear, but rather me being warn out in the countryside, its a youtube playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A74F3CE05D94B566

PDH

Rode the bike 22 miles today.  Went over 50 for the week.  Feels good, now if it would just stop snowing I would be able to really bike.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Scipio

Drank half a case of beer today.  Ate pot roast, prosciutto, cheese, and mini-cupcakes.  Followed by fat-free fudgesicle and Glenmorangie (am on DIET).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Lucidor

Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2011, 09:03:37 PM
Drank half a case of beer today.  Ate pot roast, prosciutto, cheese, and mini-cupcakes.  Followed by fat-free fudgesicle and Glenmorangie (am on DIET).
Was the fat free food good?

I think the sugar in the half case of beer sort of spoiled the diet. :D

BuddhaRhubarb

Dr.'s appt tomorrow and I just realized I forgot to get my bloodwork done a few weeks ago (so it'd be ready for the Doc) d'oh. My weight is stable, and I have been eating better the last month or so, than say the previous 6-8 months. Still not getting enough exercise though. too flabby. It's just now though starting to bug me, the flab. I feel energetic enough to start exercising more, but am very very intimidated by gyms. I'm such a quitter, i feel I'll just end up being one of those people who pays and never goes to the gym.

I need to find some resolve in regards to the exercising thing.
:p

Brazen

Wangled a free PT session at the gym last night. There was a lot of boxing and hitting with the VIPR and dangling of the TRX suspension system. I probably shouldn't have had half an hour on the treadmill first! My butt is serious kicked.

jamesww

Not getting very far at the moment, seem to be doing just 10-15 miles a day on the bike; need a new challenge.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Try jogging and swimming.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?