News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Here we go again. What is everyone up to to avoid being found slumped over their keyboards with a spilled double-mocha latte and a rotting pile of pizza boxes?

I'm training for an adventure race (including cycling, running and kayaking) in June and a half marathon in October. Leading up to the latter I feel a 5K and a couple of 10Ks coming on. Trying to get my general speed and endurance up, and weight down, to avoid a repeat of last year's marathon debacle.

I'm running three times a week on a run/walk to run 10K programme with upper body and core work after the shorter sessions. Doing a couple of circuit-style classes and a recovery swim, and walking at lunchtime if I haven't had a chance to get about much.

I'm also recording all calories eaten and burned on an online and phone app. I know from experience I have to get anal (fnarr fnarr) to lose weight. 4lbs down, another 30 to go. I think I saw an ab the other day. Another five to find under the flab.

Eddie Teach

Mostly doing aerobics/pilates videos right now. When it gets warm enough outside(hopefully in next few weeks), I'll incorporate some jogging and occasional basketball.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

I had a couple obstructions lately, one bad enough to merit nasogastric intubation for a couple days. That one cost me most of what I had achieved at that point. However I kept at it and I'm now at the best shape I've been in years.

The downside is I need to go renew all my wardrobe (I hate shopping). I don't fit in what clothes I have anymore. Not to mention I don't know how much more I'll bulk up.

Syt

I've been changing my diet for the past week. Less fat, less sugar, more fruits and veggies, and a reduced caloric intake. Hasn't been too bad so far, mostly because I pick healthy stuff I like and don't have "verboten" myself anything, so I have a piece of chocolate (as opposed to the full 100g) when I have a craving. Also, the occasional junk food is also ok - I mainly have to quit "all junk, all the time". No problems stixking to it so far.

Mornings are whole grain and fruit müsli with soy yoghurt (prefer milk yoghurt, but my tummy doesn't like that), a slice of pumpernickel with turkey or chicken sausage, and a fruit or veggie (apple, tomato, bell pepper ... ); total of ca. 500 kcal that keeps me pretty satiated till lunch time.

Lunch is going out with co-workers, so I don't have a good idea of how much intake that is, but I try to pick healthier stuff; though I don't manage to eat the whole dish anymore in many cases. In the evening another slice of pumpernickel with sausage, some veggies and maybe some canned tuna (without oil). In between fruit or veggies as snacks (tomato, plums, apples, pears or similar) when I feel hungry.

Also, yesterday my dumbells and cycling machine were delivered. After consulting various sites and boards I've come up with a training regimen for the upper body (dumbells) that covers all muscle groups, plus an hour of cycling. I did it yesterday for the first time and feel like I've been through the grinder today. I will do that training three times a week (this week tue/thu/sat, then always mon/wed/fri).

All I need now is a set of scales. I think I'm somewhere between 130 and 140 kg, but I don't know. :unsure:

Goal is long term weight loss, no crash diet. Pants size is 42/32, want to get back to 38/32 at least. And sweaters from XXXL to XL again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

I buggered my knee doing high-impact classes and DVDs so I'm reduced to walking and swimming for my aerobic exercise, and I'm not convinced cycling is a great idea either. I really need to step up the resistance training to keep ticking over.

You don't look that big Syt, you must carry it well. You might want to try MyFitnessPal - a linked phone app and site. Really easy and healthy calories in/out goal setting and tracking.

jamesww

Quote from: Brazen on March 30, 2011, 05:55:19 AM
I buggered my knee doing high-impact classes and DVDs so I'm reduced to walking and swimming for my aerobic exercise, and I'm not convinced cycling is a great idea either. I really need to step up the resistance training to keep ticking over.

You don't look that big Syt, you must carry it well. You might want to try MyFitnessPal - a linked phone app and site. Really easy and healthy calories in/out goal setting and tracking.

What, in your current injured state or generally ?

I've done about 250 miles on the bike this month, not much but enough to ward off the pizza boxes; saw friend yesterday who I hadn't seen in a while and she said I was looking fit and healthy, so I must be doing ok.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on March 30, 2011, 05:55:19 AM

I gained 5 or 10 kg the past year or so. Possible 15 kg since we last saw each other, most of it gut. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Bought bathroom scales. 130 kg/288 lbs/20 stone 8 is the starting point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I'm on my second week of going to the gym 3-4/wk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I lost a bunch of weight, but just noticed that I had gained a few pounds over my target - probably because basketball season has ended and I didn't replace it with anything.

Definitely going to need to start some semi-regular exercise for the off season.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza2

I drastically changed my diet starting on 10 January, started to weigh myself every day in the morning and evening and write a list of what exactly I ate during the day and what I weigh. That allowed me to lose about 14 kg ~ 30 lbs since. I was close to obesity then and am close to normal weight now. I aim at losing a further 5 kg ~ 11 lbs, which seems doable based on the progress so far. I hope to achieve that in the next 2-3 months, which seems realistic even considering the "dimishing return" effect from dieting.

As I sustained my changed diet for about 3 months now I expect that I can keep it up further. I basically only stopped buying sweets (still eat them when e.g. my colleagues bring some to work) and opted for low fat variants of my favorite foods instead of the normal fat variant. I also abolished breakfast most days as I usually only get hungry around 11:30 am and we go to lunch at work around noon anyway. I also reduced the amount of carbs I eat in the evening (eating less bread basically).

Drakken

Presently cutting, daily 500 calories deficit to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. Changed my whole diet to include way more vegetables. The target is 20% body fat after three months, then alternating to muscle hypertrophy for the next few months before cutting again.

I also made my routine myself, changed my workout routine to 3 times per week, two body parts per day (chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs). Despite cutting I still increase my weights, which is a good sign that I maintain my muscle mass successfully.

When I started I was at about 215 pounds (97 kg) for slightly less than 6 feet tall. at roughly 26% body fat. I lost about 15 pounds since February, and now around 200 pounds (91 kg). Next check for body fat count this Monday.

jamesww

On top of the 22 miles I cycled to the boozer last night, I did another 37 miles on errands this afternoon, for an English April day it was quite warm.   :bowler:

Ideologue

Due to vegetarianism yet a dislike of many vegetables, my major source of protein is Reese's cups.

However, I'm doing daily calisthenics, and soon I'll be totally ripped.  Actual physical health is rather unimportant (I'm basically fine), but like great thinker Lester Burnham, I basically want to look good naked.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

I've gotten up to jogging half a mile before my lungs revolt. Down to 215 lbs. Would like to lose another 15-20 or so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2011, 05:17:11 PM
Due to vegetarianism yet a dislike of many vegetables, my major source of protein is Reese's cups.

:lol:

Shine on you crazy diamond.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive