News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Moonrise Kingdom is a great movie(A or A-) and definitely ahead of Django.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2013, 01:49:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2013, 04:52:52 PM
Star Trek: Into Darkness - visually stunning (imax 3D), relatively decently constructed plot, but despite best efforts by the cast the plot seems a bit all over the place and the personal side of things feels weak.

That bar got set pretty low the first time around.  I'm still looking forward to it, but given that this one was co-written not only by noted retards Orci and Kurtzman but also Damon "I tricked a doddering old man into making my Space Jockey fan fiction I wrote when I was 17" Lindeloff, we'll see.

QuoteBetween ST:ID and IM3, the latter has the much better human story to tell.

Well, that bodes well.  I really hope this is just your appreciation of the Downey post-dope show, without which Iron Man 3 would immediately devolve from fun tripe to totally unwatchable garbage.  P.S. Fuck Europe.  We made it, and you get to see it first?  I thought we won the war.

Well, Iron Man has the advantage that Downey more or less plays himself, and he totally owns that role and fuses with it. He has a pretty good character arc over the 3.5 movies that plays as big a role as the special effects show.

In Star Trek, the characters seem to take second place next to the action sequences. As said, Into Darkness attempts emotional scenes, but IMHO drifts into melodrama instead. However, as that's my personal opinion YMMV. It's still a decent action flick with amazing visuals and some good scenes/lines.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2013, 02:14:40 AM
My God, it's full of perfectly framed shots.

Save it for your review of Hyde Park On The Hudson, which I'm sure will be The Best Movie I've Ever Seen Until The Next One as well.

It could've used 20 more minutes.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2013, 03:36:14 AM

In Star Trek, the characters seem to take second place next to the action sequences. As said, Into Darkness attempts emotional scenes, but IMHO drifts into melodrama instead. However, as that's my personal opinion YMMV. It's still a decent action flick with amazing visuals and some good scenes/lines.

... and what does this mean for star wars with jj abrams at the helm?

My basic problem with the first star wars reboot film was that it wan't a star trek story. Which was also the problem with the TNG movies as well. An action movie set in the star trek universe with characters sharing the names with TOS characters. It felt like Mission Impossible all over again. A well made action movie that ignores every single trope and tradition that made the original franchise great.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2013, 07:08:25 AM
My basic problem with the first star wars reboot film was that it wan't a star trek story.

:hmm: :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 07:31:43 AM
My basic problem with the first star wars trek reboot film was that it wan't a star trek story.

:hmm: :P

I must admit that is a very good point. I think what I meant say is clear, but i fixed it here anyways

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

My basic problem with the first star wars reboot film was that it wan't a star trek story. Which was also the problem with the TNG movies as well.

First Contact was a decent Star Trek story, I thought, and the other TNG films at least to tell Trek-ish stories (resettlement, technology vs. hippie idea of low tech etc., nature vs. nurture ...).

ST: Into Darkness seemed to raise a few such topics in its first half hour or so, where it seems to take on a cynical DS9 bend, but that's quickly shoved to the background by its action rollercoaster.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2013, 08:13:33 AM
My basic problem with the first star wars reboot film was that it wan't a star trek story. Which was also the problem with the TNG movies as well.

First Contact was a decent Star Trek story, I thought, and the other TNG films at least to tell Trek-ish stories (resettlement, technology vs. hippie idea of low tech etc., nature vs. nurture ...).

ST: Into Darkness seemed to raise a few such topics in its first half hour or so, where it seems to take on a cynical DS9 bend, but that's quickly shoved to the background by its action rollercoaster.

Which is the basic problem. Jean Luc Picard action hero and rule breaker isn't the Picard you find in the show and isn't even a description of Kirk (who bends the letter but never the intention of the rules).

Trek is exploration and adventure with a bit of ethics and morality thrown in from time to time. It is not action. With Into Darkness or the Reboot or First Contact, if those films had been made with generic non-star trek characters would you have thought that that movie was like trek?

Syt

Star Trek, in its best moments, was about the human condition. First Contact for me was not so much an action movie (though it had action). It's prime focus was on revenge (how far will you go against the ones that violated everything you are and stand for), what makes one human, and what will you do to obtain what you wish for (Data's subplot, though it was the weakest plot thread), and what drives people to greatness/Historical Legend vs. reality (Cochrane the visionary instigator of interstellar travel vs. Cochrane the booze hound who wants to get rich and retire to an island with naked chicks).
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2013, 08:39:29 AM
Star Trek, in its best moments, was about the human condition. First Contact for me was not so much an action movie (though it had action). It's prime focus was on revenge (how far will you go against the ones that violated everything you are and stand for), what makes one human, and what will you do to obtain what you wish for (Data's subplot, though it was the weakest plot thread), and what drives people to greatness/Historical Legend vs. reality (Cochrane the visionary instigator of interstellar travel vs. Cochrane the booze hound who wants to get rich and retire to an island with naked chicks).
This.  This is why First Contact was a great movie, not just because of the action.

The reboot is more of an action movie.  That silly scene on the ice plante with the giant monster, for example.  First, action, then they add sci-fi element: time travel, spaceships, fleet combat, etc.  And on top of it, they added a human element, the one of revenge.  It made a good movie, but it could have been almost anything without Trek characters and it would have worked.  But no studio would invest that much money without the 'Trek or 'Wars brand on a sci-fi movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

The trailer for season 4 of Arrested Development isn't too promising, but then again AD isn't the kind of show that's funny in a trailer.

I shall try to not watch all episodes at once, and maybe even waiting with them til after my exams.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on May 15, 2013, 05:35:13 PM
The trailer for season 4 of Arrested Development isn't too promising, but then again AD isn't the kind of show that's funny in a trailer.

I didn't see anything particularly wrong with the trailer, but yeah mainly because of what you said.

I might have a gluttonous day because that Monday is a holiday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

There's a new season of Arrested Development coming out?

How'd they do as far as getting original cast members back?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

The whole original cast is back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ddjzGft0k

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

Have you been under a rock?