And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 06:18:50 PM
Have you been under a rock?

Just haven't been using Netflix lately. And fast forward through commercials when I watch tv. And Ad Block on youtube. So only way I hear about new things is Languish.  :sleep:

Thanks for the link, Larch. :thumbsup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2013, 06:25:17 PM

Just haven't been using Netflix lately. And fast forward through commercials when I watch tv. And Ad Block on youtube. So only way I hear about new things is Languish.  :sleep:

I don't actually have Netflix at the moment but am considering re-upping for this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2013, 06:25:17 PM

Thanks for the link, Larch. :thumbsup:

Weak excuse. I don't even live in the US and Arrested Development hasn't even been shown on TV over here, yet I knew about the new season.  :P

Grey Fox

I just learned that Whose line is it anyway is coming back!

I'm excited.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2013, 07:37:10 PM

I'm excited.

Yeah....one of the few shows that makes me laugh. Out Loud.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2013, 07:37:10 PM

I'm excited.

:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Of course you hate it, you hate everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2013, 08:00:30 PM
Of course you hate it, you hate everything.

I hate Wayne Brady. Otherwise it and earlier versions are alright. We did some of the bits in my improv class.

Also, I love Arrested Development. :)

edit: I did just see though that Aisha Tyler is the host. Now I'm conflicted. :blush:

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2013, 03:38:08 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2013, 08:39:29 AM
Star Trek, in its best moments, was about the human condition. First Contact for me was not so much an action movie (though it had action). It's prime focus was on revenge (how far will you go against the ones that violated everything you are and stand for), what makes one human, and what will you do to obtain what you wish for (Data's subplot, though it was the weakest plot thread), and what drives people to greatness/Historical Legend vs. reality (Cochrane the visionary instigator of interstellar travel vs. Cochrane the booze hound who wants to get rich and retire to an island with naked chicks).
This.  This is why First Contact was a great movie, not just because of the action.

Except First Contact is not a great movie, but a bad movie.  The only ones worse are Insurrection and Nemesis (and Nemesis only arguably).  Pretty much all the TNG films are trash; Generations I give a pass only because it's nostalgic trash.  I would not trade the existence of all four of the TNG films for the first ten minutes of Star Trek V.  And it's not even that I don't like TNG; I just really, really dislike the TNG movies.

But that is, like, the only good part of First Contact.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 06:47:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2013, 02:14:40 AM
My God, it's full of perfectly framed shots.

Save it for your review of Hyde Park On The Hudson, which I'm sure will be The Best Movie I've Ever Seen Until The Next One as well.

I don't do that.  I've been averaging my 2013 scores, and it's only even a B+ if you round up, but all that says is that it's been a very solid year so far.

Granted, given that I'm bound by oath to love Star Trek, at least on my first viewing, and Man of Steel the six zillion times I wind up seeing it, it'll probably creep higher, but this is only before I wind up disappointed in Pacific Rim or that Lone Ranger movie that I've been brainwashed into being excited to see.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

The Lone Ranger will not fail, dammit.  :mad:

Josephus

Agree the Wayne Brady singing moments were lame. But Colin Mochrie and the tall tude were just amazing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

[timmay!]

King Kong is the bestest movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

a+++++++++++++++

[/timmaytard]
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 08:44:09 PM

Hell, I think it looks pretty rad.  But I hate those Pirates movies, so I dunno.
Kinemalogue

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 08:44:09 PM

Of course it will. Johnny Depp is playing Tonto. If there ever was an typecast actor less like the serious, earnest and devoted tonto it is Johnny Depp. Seriously, he has a crow in his head, WTF?

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.