And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Watched the first half hour of The Angel's Share by Ken Loach, a comedy drama about a group of Scottish delinquents doing community service and deciding to steal/sell high priced whisky. Ultimately, it's a story about a young, unemployed guy with a history of violence, trying to start a new life with his girlfriend and baby boy.

I liked it so far, but this being done with local Scottish talent for the most part, the accent was rather thick for me (much thicker than, say, Trainspotting), and I had at times trouble following the dialogue. I think I need subtitles for that. Or ask my Scottish colleague to translate for me.

It reminded me of German director Detlev Buck's early work about social outsiders in his local Holsteinian area (most notably Karniggels).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Hugo- I'd heard a lot about how good it was but had no idea what it was about. From the title my guesses were rather wrong. Despite people who normally have good taste saying it was good I found it thoroughly meh.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

As a part of my holiday movie catch-up, watched Snowhite and the Huntsman and Beginners.

I was entertained by both. The former was somewhat uneven but it was nonetheless enjoyable and not too cringe-worthy. The latter was a bit too shallow for a psychological drama and a bit too depressing for a rom-com, but I'm glad I've seen it.

Syt

On tap today: the traditional watching of Mickey's Christmas Carol and A Walt Disney Christmas. Gotta love Donald's snow battle with his nephews.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Just watched my first Christmas movie of the year: Die Hard.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on December 24, 2012, 03:51:08 AM
On tap today: the traditional watching of Mickey's Christmas Carol and A Walt Disney Christmas. Gotta love Donald's snow battle with his nephews.
Yes, Both are classics.
PDH!

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2012, 04:31:03 AM
Best Christmas movie ever. I have it queued up for later tonight. :thumbsup:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Kleves on December 24, 2012, 05:46:09 PM

"You just got buttfucked on national television!"

"No, the other Johnston."

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on December 24, 2012, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2012, 04:31:03 AM

Why didn't I think of that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2012, 07:52:18 PM
"You just got buttfucked on national television!"

"No, the other Johnston."
"We're going to need some more FBI guys, I guess."
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

dps

Just watched the Doctor Who Christmas special.  Featuring, as the voice of the Great Intelligence, Sir Ian McKellen!  How did they keep that secret?

Ideologue

Lost Horizon (1937).  Frank Capra.  Serious flop in its time (past people are stupid), but it's pretty good; it's been long enough since I've read the novel that I can't tell you if it's better than the book, but it is of similar quality despite the changes.  Really long for a movie of the era, apparently it was originally 3.5 hours (WTF) and the studio required it to be cut down after test audiences walked out or stayed and went into comas.  I'd like to see that cut someday, but it has unfortunately been swallowed by entropy, if not by Capra's deliberate act of destruction; it is, unless a miracle occurs, fucking gone.  Even the reconstructed 2.25 hour cut, the one that enjoyed the initial commercial release, involves a great deal of patchworking--the audio has been fully or nearly fully restored, but about ten to fifteen minutes of footage is gone forever and the scenes for which audio but not images is available have to be implied by production stills. Sad.

Oh, it's about this dude named Conway finding a Himalayan utopia called Shangri-La, and losing Shangri-La because of his human nature to distrust that which must be taken on faith and also his ass of a brother, and, perhaps, finding Shangri-La again.  Good dialogue, good performances.  Not fully seeing where the two million they gave Capra went, but it looks pretty nice.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

The Muppets- Heard it was good. Thoroughly meh.
██████
██████
██████