And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 10:01:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2020, 09:57:22 AM
Romeo + Juliet spurred my undying love for all things Baz Luhrmann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beV56hp4T3w&ab_channel=marnieee
Same. And then I saw Strictly Ballroom which is incredible. Even when he's not very good he's normally making films with such a deliberate style that I kind of like it anyway.

Edit: Also his entire catalogue has such a camp aesthetic it blew my mind to discover he's married to a woman - and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible :lol:

Luhrmann is a cornball, but a supremely talented one. The Michaelangelo of cheese.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2020, 09:59:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 09:50:26 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
Clueless was a very early/mid 90s movie though. I guess it kicked off the trend.
Yeah - I think it and Romeo + Juliet (which I also love) really kickstarted the trend of teen movies that are adaptations of "classic" literature.

Valley Girl riffed off Romeo + Juliet. Clueless was a product of the 90s and really only belongs in that time bubble of optimism.

Ugh! As if!

:D

Barrister

There's a Borat 2 and it's coming out on Amazon.   :huh:

I mean, Sasha Baron Cohen's gotta eat so I don't begrudge him, but it seems like that's a concept that's played out.

Although I do remember just howling at a couple bits from the original.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I saw Borat with my mother which in retrospect is pretty wild  :lol: she enjoyed it, even  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2020, 01:54:14 PM

I mean, Sasha Baron Cohen's gotta eat so I don't begrudge him, but it seems like that's a concept that's played out.

I get the impression the point of Borat 2 is to troll the insanity of the current Republicans.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

He already did that too. Got people to talk about giving toddlers guns and whatnot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 01, 2020, 02:07:49 PM
He already did that too. Got people to talk about giving toddlers guns and whatnot.

True. But the Republican lunatics have gotten more insane and considerably more powerful since Borat 1 came out.

Making fun of ignorant, insane people is funny; hopefully, making fun of ignorant, insane people who are also powerful is even more funny. Though we shall see, it will be hard to recapture the mood with a repeat.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Supposidely in borat 2 Cohen plays Borat who to hide his idenity because he is so famous is disguised as someone else.
Which sounds fun.
Also apparently there's some senior republican has been caught with something potentially career ending.

If who is America is any indication Cohen has not lost it and I'm excited.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

The problem is that it you don't need to dress up and enact scenarios to get these people to open up and say crazy stuff enough anymore, saying crazy stuff is ubiquitous.  We have a QAnon Congresswoman now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Played out in the sense that we just need to watch the news now?

The Larch

The argument of Borat 2 (in case anybody cares about it) is that he's looking to present Mike Pence with his daughter as a bride. At least Giuliani and Pence are confirmed to appear, and it explores connections between Trump and Epstein. Giuliani seems to have called the police on him after being recorded.  :lol:

There's a trailer already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFHMhsTdf0

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 02:32:47 PM

If we don't watch out, Borat won't simply be a character - he'll be elected to high office. 😟

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 02:32:47 PM

Yeah, exploring the racism and bigotry in so many Americans isn't as funny now that they've stopped hiding it / being ashamed of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Apparently the Simpsons are going to do an Ancient Rome thing. I have no interest in watching it, but I like the fake posters.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

(just in case someone isn't familiar with the originals, you never know with kids these days)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.