And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 07, 2017, 07:27:56 PM
:lol:

I've been trying to remember the names of those movies. And the one with Bobcat In the Godzilla suit smashing the model city.

Better Off Dead and you're thinking of One Crazy Summer.

Mandatory '80s viewing.  You don't even realize how important John Cusack is to your life as a Gen Xer, from adolescence to young adulthood to middle age.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2017, 07:31:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 07, 2017, 07:27:56 PM
:lol:

I've been trying to remember the names of those movies. And the one with Bobcat In the Godzilla suit smashing the model city.

Better Off Dead and you're thinking of One Crazy Summer.

Mandatory '80s viewing.  You don't even realize how important John Cusack is to your life as a Gen Xer, from adolescence to young adulthood to middle age.

:yes:

Ordering from Amazon now. I'll spare you when the end times come.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Watching a bunch of old concert / music dvds at the moment; in the original ZZ Top videos, were white levi* ever a cool thing for women?

* not sure of the cut.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Watched the first season of iZombie.

I thought it was a lot of brainless fun - a fluffy police procedural with a zombie morgue attendant protagonist.

My wife liked it, and she usually hates anything zombie-related.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2017, 08:12:54 AM

I thought it was a lot of brainless fun - a fluffy police procedural with a zombie morgue attendant protagonist.

I've seen the first two seasons and yeah it is good, brainless (haha) fun. :)

And I'm always down for a police procedural.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2017, 08:12:54 AM

season 3 was really over the top, silly fun. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

Glow - Cheesy fun that builds up to a great ending.  Early episodes are pretty slow though.

Liep

The Death of Stalin trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

Looks good and everything I've seen Iannucci direct has been hilarious.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Was just coming to post that too. Looks funny. A bit lighter than Armando Ianuccis more recent stuff. I liked his older comedy.
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: Liep on August 11, 2017, 05:55:00 AM
The Death of Stalin trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

Looks good and everything I've seen Iannucci direct has been hilarious.

Love it. :lol:

No Voroshilov, though. He was the funniest buffoon of the lot.  :(

Josquius

Assassins Creed.  I expected it to be bad. It delivered. For a while it is merely mediocre. I kind of got what was going on from the games though someone who hasnt finished them would be lost. The ending though... Yeah. No idea. That's completely nonsensical.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

If you liked Besson's The Fifth Element, this one should be right up your alley.
For the others, visuals are great, casting not so much. Try to watch it on the biggest screen available, 3D is not compulsory. Watched in 4D for immersion. Nice. :)
Fans of the original bande dessinée are likely to despair precisely due to the casting, of the heroes namely.

CountDeMoney

American Anarchist

Interesting documentary on the late William Powell, author of The Anarchist's Cookbook;  equal parts "Yeah, I was young when I wrote that" and sanctimonious "Documentary Director That Insists On Asking The Same Questions Over And Over Again If You Wish You Did Stuff Differently."

While I think there was an element of moral revisionism from Powell on his book's impact (intentionally or not, the guy has seemed to have been aloof to its impact, crossing the globe as a special needs educator in all sorts of far-flung third world shit holes) there was way too much from the director constantly trying to beat a confession out of somebody that already regretted something he couldn't pull back.  Trying to make the guy feel responsible for Columbine because those two psychos had a copy, or that McVeigh read it--even though so much of the Cookbook was regurgitated from army field manuals he would've read anyway--just seemed incredibly douchebaggy, especially considering how Powell's had no control over its publication and yet it followed him with death threats, rescinded job offers and the like for decades.

IMHO, the Anarchist's Cookbook is one of those window dressing affectations a certain type of person adopts as part of the role.  Anti-government sovereign citizen militia nut?  You have The Turner Diaries.  Romantic commie revolutionary with a Latin flair?  Guerilla Warfare.  Psycho stalker?  You have your copy of Catcher in the Rye.

Anyway, good but could've been better.

Josquius

Superbob - sort of a Shaun of the dead take on superhero movies.  Very romance heavy. But some really funny moments.
Sadly just short of greatness. The film is too short, perhaps due to its budget, so a lot of stuff isn't really properly setup.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Watched some of those Planet of the Apes movies from the 70's. Good stuff still.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive