News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I just want to remind you Viper that in American portrayals of the Revolutions the British are presented as complete subhuman monsters who have had atrocities pegged on them that resemble things the Nazis did with no basis in fact, while our own atrocities get completely scrubbed so it is hard to for me to give the benefit of the doubt here. Same old tired shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2016, 01:22:26 PM
I just want to remind you Viper that in American portrayals of the Revolutions the British are presented as complete subhuman monsters who have had atrocities pegged on them that resemble things the Nazis did with no basis in fact, while our own atrocities get completely scrubbed so it is hard to for me to give the benefit of the doubt here. Same old tired shit.
Very true.  As someone whose job is tied to the American Revolution and one of the more brutal theaters of the war (the Mohawk Valley in New York), I can verify that each side's sources are incredibly biased if not filled with outright lies.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

My argument was about the portrayal of Simcoe, that I find close to the real character as we know it, far from the way Canadians and British describe their officers of both wars as 100% do-gooders war heroes with a whitewash history.

This is where we differ. His protrayal is incorrect in the show. And your bs non sequitor about the brit officer corps is just that. We are talking his protrayal in the series. Which is inaccurate and not true. You lose.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Watching the pilot of this weird religious themed show The Messengers. I see a road sign that says the following:
Houston 333
El Paso 460
San Antonio 755

Where the fuck is this supposed to be?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 26, 2016, 03:55:36 PM
Watching the pilot of this weird religious themed show The Messengers. I see a road sign that says the following:
Houston 333
El Paso 460
San Antonio 755

Where the fuck is this supposed to be?  :lol:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Lemonade

This 'film' was always going to be pretentious given who was creating it and the central conceit (you've cheated on me and while I'll turn that into art, I'm not leaving you) but ultimately, I'd say still fun given the music. It'll be interesting to see what impact it has on other pop artists.

I will say that it is great to see the continued empowerment of black women. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 26, 2016, 02:03:41 PM
Very true.  As someone whose job is tied to the American Revolution and one of the more brutal theaters of the war (the Mohawk Valley in New York), I can verify that each side's sources are incredibly biased if not filled with outright lies.

You would say that, wouldn't you, Benedict Arnold.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Probably got lost in the all the Prince stuff, but Patton Oswalt's wife died in her sleep.  No known health issues.

QuoteMichelle McNamara, wife of comedian Patton Oswalt, dies at 46

Michelle McNamara, the crime writer who founded the website TrueCrimeDiary.com and the wife of popular comedian Patton Oswalt, died Thursday, her husband's publicist confirmed. 
The 46-year-old passed away in her sleep at her Los Angeles home.

"Her passing was a complete shock to her family and friends, who loved her dearly," Kevin McLaughlin of Main Stage Public Relations told CNN on Saturday.
No cause of death was provided.

McNamara, who earned her masters degree in creative writing from the University of Minnesota, was fascinated by crime stories. Her website covered both breaking stories and cold cases.
Word of McNamara's death prompted an outpouring of grief by peers of her husband.

Everything Michelle McNamara wrote @TrueCrimeDiary was excellent & thoughtful. She was an excellent & thoughtful person. I'm so sorry Patton
    — John Mulaney (@mulaney) April 23, 2016

As a writer, she steered away from famous murders and instead focused on mysteries that others had either overlooked or had not gained public attention.
"True Crime Diary is not interested in looking back at notorious criminals and saying, wow. We're interested in looking at unfolding cases and asking, who?" she said, in an article on her website.

My heart goes out to @pattonoswalt
    and his family.
    We love you man
    — Will Arnett™ (@arnettwill) April 23, 2016

Oswalt, a comedian and actor who has appeared on shows such as HBO's "Veep" and "The King of Queens," shared a news story on his Twitter feed about his wife's passing. However, the prolific tweeter did not issue a personal statement.

@pattonoswalt We are so sorry for your loss. We love you and feel for you.
    — Kevin Nealon (@kevin_nealon) April 23, 2016

The couple has a seven-year old daughter.

QuoteOfficials Probe Sudden Death of Patton Oswalt's Wife Michelle McNamara
The coroner's office is so backed up, the testing process has slowed considerably.

It might be months before officials know why writer Michelle McNamara died suddenly last week at the age of 46.

The noted true-crime author and wife of comedian and actor Patton Oswalt was found dead at the couple's home in Los Angeles on Friday. Ed Winter, spokesman for the Los Angeles County coroner's office, tells The Hollywood Reporter a cause of death likely will take months to determine because the medical examiner's office is so backed up with cases. Tests, including a toxicology report, will be conducted in an effort to determine the cause of death.

For the moment, Winter says there is no new information in the case.

The Hollywood community, especially Oswalt's friends and collaborators, were shocked by the news of McNamara's death. She is said to have been free of known medical conditions, with no prior warning signs her health might have been in danger.

McNamara, a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, was known for writing about real-life murderers and rapists. She founded the website True Crime Diary and also received a master's degree in creative writing from the University of Minnesota.

Since his wife's death, Oswalt, a prolific actor (The King of Queens, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), voice artist (Ratatouille) and comic (his latest Netflix special debuted last week), has remained mostly silent on Twitter, where he is an active voice.   

McNamara is survived by Oswalt and their 7-year-old daughter, Alice.

viper37

You don't say!  You mean all this time, The Patriot had it wrong? ;)

I did not say anything to the contrary.

However, if you look at Turn, you will see that the portrayal of John Andre is pretty close to what we know of the guy, character wise.  Loyal to the British command, obeys orders that are given, despise unecessary brutality, a real gentlemen, even an admirer of Franklin.
Major Hewlett, while having the wrong rank and wrong origin isn't depicted as a really bad guy.  A bit naive and stuckup on principles, but not "evil", like Simcoe.

Of course, there are no american bad guys in the tv show, that's a given.  I don't think US audiences would react well to that.  No more than a Quebec audience would react well to seeing French Canadian soldiers accompanied by their indian allies killing civilians during the colonial wars.  I think it's the closest we'll get on American television to see 18th century British as "balanced" ;)

I just don't think a tv show or movie should be judged primarily on its historical accuracy, especially for the finer details.  Just like Game of Thrones isn't 100% true to the books, characters are cut, merged, aged, they are moved elsewhere, etc.  I mean, historicaly accuracy is somewhat important in the sense that people should realistically act like people of this time should act, they should dress like the people of the time, as much as we know they did, the buildings should be representative, but the events in themselves don't bother me too much. 

See, Vikings gets a lot of criticism for not being accurate and I got used to it, eventually.  Some battles are displaced, Ragnar Lothbrok is in places he can not be, the entire Viking age is concentrated in one lifetime, but that does not really matter.

I see Turn the same way.  I don't trust the history it shows, but I don't think it got its facts 100% wrong either.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on April 26, 2016, 02:17:12 PM
We are talking his protrayal in the series. Which is inaccurate and not true. You lose.
John Andre aside, pretty much everyone is not the in the right place at the rigth time, falls in love with the right person, is older or younger, etc.  I just don't mind.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 26, 2016, 07:19:19 PM
Since his wife's death, Oswalt, a prolific actor (The King of Queens, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), voice artist (Ratatouille) and comic (his latest Netflix special debuted last week), has remained mostly silent on Twitter, where he is an active voice.   
no shit!  His wife dies and the guy does not even bother to spam Twitter as usual!  How rude!

Sometimes, journalists say the dumbest things.

viper37

Don't know if that link works for everyone, but it's apparently a scene from a Turkish Rambo:
https://www.facebook.com/kavkaz505/videos/1107276972626998/

jimmy olsen

Captain America: Civil War is 10/10

The action is way better than any other Marvel movie, even the Winter Soldier and unlike BvS, you actually care about the people fighting and why. Spiderman and Black Panther are awesome additions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point