TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 11:18:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 10:39:49 AM
Princess and Frog was ok, I didn't like Hercules and hated Hunchback(cause Disnefying that book is just plain wrong).

Yeah, I hated Hercules and Hunchback.  With Hunchback they couldn't have missed the point worse if they were throwing darts in the opposite direction.  I mean one of the least likable characters in the book (the Captain), is made out to be a hero.

I never saw Hunchback.  What was so bad about Herculus?  It was fun, it had a nice Michael Bolton song, it had some cool animation, the chick was different than the standard, it had James Woods.  Hell, it might be my favorite, now that I think about it.

Hercules is a story about guy who is the product of rape who goes around raping and murdering.  You take out the rape and murder and what do you have?  A story about a some guy.  James Woods is good, but why is Hades the villain?  Hades didn't have much of a beef against Hercules.  Well there was that time Hercules stole his dog, and jumped his employee Thanatos.  But he gave the dog back and Thanatos recovered (and there was no indication that Hades liked him that well anyway).  I think Hades got to keep Hercules skin or something like that.  He might even have let Herc borrow his hat (I'm not sure on that one).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 09:08:50 PM
I liked Frollo much more then Phoebus.  I could identify with him more.  The novel has a rather cynical attitude toward love (especially women).  The Chick falls for the lecherous, empty headed hunk over the clever and hard working deacon.  Or the decent poet guy.  Why?  Cause chicks are stupid.

You can't fault her too much, she doesn't have many good options. When push comes to shove, neither Phoebus nor Gringoire really gives a shit about her, while Frollo's passion is the sort that seeks to destroy. Ultimately, her best option is the simple-minded freak.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 09:18:06 PM
Hercules is a story about guy who is the product of rape who goes around raping and murdering.  You take out the rape and murder and what do you have?  A story about a some guy.  James Woods is good, but why is Hades the villain?  Hades didn't have much of a beef against Hercules.  Well there was that time Hercules stole his dog, and jumped his employee Thanatos.  But he gave the dog back and Thanatos recovered (and there was no indication that Hades liked him that well anyway).  I think Hades got to keep Hercules skin or something like that.  He might even have let Herc borrow his hat (I'm not sure on that one).

I think Hera was the antagonist in the myths. She had a hate on for all Zeus's bastards.

Razgovory

I can fault her, just like every other woman who has spurned me. :ultra:  I mean Frollo.  I mean, nevermind.

Gringoire came off as fairly decent.  And I thought Frollo was a decent guy.  Looks out for his brother, works hard, cares for the ugly hunchback.

Eddie Teach

He was a decent guy, but he had a volcano lurking underneath.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 06:48:53 PM
British shows do way too much recasting in general.
I think British shows have fewer series and actors tend to want to avoid getting typecast/trapped in British TV.  So chances are almost the entire cast will change over, say, 4 series of a show.

Man on Wire.  Still superb.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

My brother, uh, "acquired" the second season of Sherlock.

Wow. That ending.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 09:18:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 11:18:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 10:39:49 AM
Princess and Frog was ok, I didn't like Hercules and hated Hunchback(cause Disnefying that book is just plain wrong).

Yeah, I hated Hercules and Hunchback.  With Hunchback they couldn't have missed the point worse if they were throwing darts in the opposite direction.  I mean one of the least likable characters in the book (the Captain), is made out to be a hero.

I never saw Hunchback.  What was so bad about Herculus?  It was fun, it had a nice Michael Bolton song, it had some cool animation, the chick was different than the standard, it had James Woods.  Hell, it might be my favorite, now that I think about it.

I think you can get by without the rape and murder.  Do you want to hear a Michael Bolton song about rape and murder?  Well, actually "Jack Sparrow" was pretty good.  Okay, you've got five minutes, pitch it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

I'm watching How It's Made. God help me.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 06, 2012, 10:28:05 PM
I'm watching How It's Made. God help me.
It's pretty hypnotically bad.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

sbr

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2012, 09:43:50 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 06:48:53 PM
British shows do way too much recasting in general.
I think British shows have fewer series and actors tend to want to avoid getting typecast/trapped in British TV.  So chances are almost the entire cast will change over, say, 4 series of a show.

Man on Wire.  Still superb.

Seasons!  :mad:

Ideologue

There are a couple of Rifftrax movies that I don't own on Hulu.  Excellent. :)

I was feeling guilty because I was about to spend about twenty bucks on some new Rifftrax stuff ( -_- ), but this sidestepped the issue neatly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Yeah, Hulu is a positive gold mine for campy 50s horror/juve hall flicks.  Must've been a package deal to carry the Criterion collection.