And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 11:18:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 10:39:49 AM
Princess and Frog was ok, I didn't like Hercules and hated Hunchback(cause Disnefying that book is just plain wrong).

Yeah, I hated Hercules and Hunchback.  With Hunchback they couldn't have missed the point worse if they were throwing darts in the opposite direction.  I mean one of the least likable characters in the book (the Captain), is made out to be a hero.

I never saw Hunchback.  What was so bad about Herculus?  It was fun, it had a nice Michael Bolton song, it had some cool animation, the chick was different than the standard, it had James Woods.  Hell, it might be my favorite, now that I think about it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

James Woods could make midget rape snuff films watchable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2012, 04:11:40 PM
James Woods could make midget rape snuff films watchable.

You say that like it's difficult.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Ever since I unaccountably spent a couple minutes watching a Sly Stalone celebrity invitational golf tournament and listening to James Woods' dickmouthed chest thumping I can't watch him in a movie.  Not even reruns of True Believer.

Viking

English Being Human S4E01 - well they are ridding the series of all the previous cast and recasting the show, only now with a terminator style story line. Oh, well, too much drama, time to drop this show, its now less about the characters (angry room-mate as werewolf, shy room-mate as ghost and addict room-mate as vampire) and more about good old fashoned war of the lycans and blood suckers, which seems unfortunately what happens every time TV gets it's hands on a story including supernatural monsters.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

British shows do way too much recasting in general.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 06:48:53 PM
British shows do way too much recasting in general.

Not surprising given your sig. Pray tell me how many other british shows have recast.. apart from Dr Who of course...

In this case the re-cast wasn't so much a reason for me to drop it but rather an opportunity now that they have jumped the shark. A Time travelling ghost/vampire/werewolf hybrid knocking on your door doing the "Are you Sarah Connor?" suburban scene with an as yet unnamed baby seems a bit sharkjumpery.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on February 06, 2012, 06:45:14 PM
English Being Human S4E01 - well they are ridding the series of all the previous cast and recasting the show, only now with a terminator style story line. Oh, well, too much drama, time to drop this show, its now less about the characters (angry room-mate as werewolf, shy room-mate as ghost and addict room-mate as vampire) and more about good old fashoned war of the lycans and blood suckers, which seems unfortunately what happens every time TV gets it's hands on a story including supernatural monsters.

It wasn't by choice. The vampire guy wanted to leave and the werewolf guy wants to leave this series.
That they've decided to keep the series going despite 2 of the main cast leaving...hmm....I'm uncertain.
But I guess it was either that or cancellation and for now at least people are still watching so....
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Princess and Frog was ok, I didn't like Hercules and hated Hunchback(cause Disnefying that book is just plain wrong).
Hunchback was still surprisingly dark for a Disney movie.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 04:09:37 PM

Yeah, I hated Hercules and Hunchback.  With Hunchback they couldn't have missed the point worse if they were throwing darts in the opposite direction.  I mean one of the least likable characters in the book (the Captain), is made out to be a hero.

I never saw Hunchback. 
You'd like it, the villain sings about how he wants to rape the heroine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Well, Primeval seems to lose a couple people and pick up a couple every season. Coupling they replaced Jeff the last season, much to the show's detriment. Blackadder had a lot of new people each season. And Dr Who, as you pointed out. This isn't that many shows, but it's a rather high percentage of the Brit series that I've watched multiple seasons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 06, 2012, 08:15:19 PM
Hunchback was still surprisingly dark for a Disney movie.

They simplified Frollo and drastically altered Phoebus to suit their standard storyline.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2012, 08:14:16 PM
It wasn't by choice. The vampire guy wanted to leave and the werewolf guy wants to leave this series.
That they've decided to keep the series going despite 2 of the main cast leaving...hmm....I'm uncertain.
But I guess it was either that or cancellation and for now at least people are still watching so....

My gut feeling is that they are keeping it going for the simple reason that the American Version is still alive. Also, I'm still a bit shocked that they managed to have the british ghost hotter than the american one.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 08:21:53 PM
Well, Primeval seems to lose a couple people and pick up a couple every season. Coupling they replaced Jeff the last season, much to the show's detriment. Blackadder had a lot of new people each season. And Dr Who, as you pointed out. This isn't that many shows, but it's a rather high percentage of the Brit series that I've watched multiple seasons.

Blackadder? WTF, no. Apart from single series-ed Brian Blessed, Nurse and Mrs Miggins the cast was Rowan Atkinson, Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Tim McInnery, Miranda Richardson, Rik Mayall and Stephen Fry. The entire point was the recurring characters each season. Check out the cast lists...

Primeval - yes, they swapped out the "lead" character when production was moved to Dublin.

I suppose the high concept stuff travels better than the crappy regular stuff... and the high concept stuff doesn't fix longer contracts... I'm probably more used to much of the crappier mediocre and regular british TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

:yes: "What, this chick I banged who's hopelessly smitten with me is on trial for my murder? Uh, sucks to be her."

I liked Frollo much more then Phoebus.  I could identify with him more.  The novel has a rather cynical attitude toward love (especially women).  The Chick falls for the lecherous, empty headed hunk over the clever and hard working deacon.  Or the decent poet guy.  Why?  Cause chicks are stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017