Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on March 02, 2016, 07:06:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2016, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 02, 2016, 06:44:24 PM
While based on a story about von Stauffenberg, it's about as chockfull of historical fact as "Vikings".

You should know better.

What did they get wrong? :unsure:

The assassination attempt is rather historical. And general Beck.
The story before that and Stauffenberg being some kind of Tom Cruise heroic character... I don't buy it.

Stauffenberg may not have been a Nazi, but like most of the officer caste, he was all aboard until he was not.
My point is that it is based on reasonably cloudy facts.
Not so much crap history as a narrative based on making a heroic character.

I raised that point at the time, but was told that he was a hero since he opposed Hitler.  Anything else does not matter.
I bet they're the kind of people that would willingly vote for a fascist over a Clinton, but still, there is the "logic", however twisted it appears.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

So much easier to follow The Wire with the closed captioning on.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Finally watched Interstellar.  Loved it.  Pencilneck douchebag Assburger sciencetard killjoys be damned, it was wonderful.

Not quite as good as Love, but definitely better than Gravity.

Sophie Scholl

Caught the tail end of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  It still holds up well in my opinion.  I always enjoy it at the very least. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

It's a brilliant movie. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Season 2 DS9. Michael Ansara and John Colicos are more Klingon than even Michael Dorn.

I'm glad they managed to get them in there before they died. And they gave their characters an excellent exit.

I think this was when Star Trek started to get good. When Gene Roddenberry finally got out of the way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 03, 2016, 10:10:49 AM
I think this was when Star Trek started to get good. When Gene Roddenberry finally got out of the way.
My sentiment, exactly :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Schindler's List (1993)

A true canvas of the suffering of humanity; with a little sex in it.  Well, more than a little, at about the fourth sex scene I started wondering how the pitch for this film went:

Steven Spielberg:  Just like "Night and Fog," but with more tits and ass. :smoke:
Studio Executive #1:  Brilliant, I always thought the Holocaust needed more boob shots.
Studio Executive #2:  And get some attractive actresses for the gassing scenes.  The ones they have in the documentaries don't even shave their legs.

;)

Oh Hollywood I will always love you.  :) Still it's a great film; I think that the liquidation of the Krakow ghetto is the culmination of Steven Spielberg's craft.  All the movies he's made before seem to come together for one brilliant, horrifying scene.  I also thought it was gutsy to depict the Judenrat organizing the ghetto and the Jewish ghetto police.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2016, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 03, 2016, 10:10:49 AM
My sentiment, exactly :)

Except Gene died in 1991 (and reportedly wasn't very involved in TNG after the 1st season due to illness), and DS9 came out in 1993.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Habbaku on February 26, 2016, 11:50:25 PM
World of Tomorrow is on Netflix, is 16 minutes long, and is amazing.

:thumbsup:  Hilarious and disturbing
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

I was really annoyed that Bear Story beat it for the Oscar.  Bear Story wasn't even from 2015.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Habbaku on March 03, 2016, 04:34:46 PM
I was really annoyed that Bear Story beat it for the Oscar.  Bear Story wasn't even from 2015.

World of Tomorrow was the only nominated short I saw this year.  Usually there's a bunch of them on-line, but not this year.

garbon

So I've nothing against casting women for the Ghostbusters (and in fact love those four actresses) but that trailer had me like okay so this movie seems dull?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Just watched it thanks to your mention.  That looks...rough.  And more than a little derivative.  The characters seem to be copies of the original iterations (complete with the black woman being a working-class sort instead of a scientist).   :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on March 03, 2016, 04:31:06 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 26, 2016, 11:50:25 PM
World of Tomorrow is on Netflix, is 16 minutes long, and is amazing.

:thumbsup:  Hilarious and disturbing

Trippy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?