And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2015, 10:06:22 PM
FTWD season 1 finale, they sure cranked it up to 10. :thumbsup:

Yep, they sure did. The show has been criticized by some for being slower and such, but I've liked it all along, realizing and liking how it's going from the beginning of the crisis and would be very different from TWD was in the beginning.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

Quote from: KRonn on October 05, 2015, 12:34:36 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2015, 10:06:22 PM
FTWD season 1 finale, they sure cranked it up to 10. :thumbsup:

Yep, they sure did. The show has been criticized by some for being slower and such, but I've liked it all along, realizing and liking how it's going from the beginning of the crisis and would be very different from TWD was in the beginning.

I'm [spoiler]not sure how the "Walking Dead on a mother f'in boat!" will go...kinda feeling like "The Last Ship". 

Also like how the show pretty well trashes US Army grunts and how they deal with catastrophic crisis situations.  :P  (though I am guessing most of those dudes would have realistically been ANG/reservists)[/spoiler]

Tonitrus

Started watching "Dark Matter" on Netflix.  Me like.

crazy canuck

Yeah, I was happy to hear it has the go ahead for season 2.  Lots of potential there.

KRonn

[spoiler] I think the ship will mainly be to  move to other places, try to find food and supplies. As for the way they showed the military I thought is was pretty lame and over the top in displaying them as incompetent, brutish noobs. They didn't have to do that as a way of showing the downfall of civil order, as that would happen soon enough anyway as more people turned, got sick and turned or were bitten.  [/spoiler]

KRonn

[spoiler] I also got a kick out of scenes near the end when they had so many walkers. That's so many people in so much makeup! Must have kept a small army of makeup people busy.   [/spoiler]

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 09:21:27 AM
Saw The Martian. Very pretty evocation of Mars, very interesting Robinson Crusoe-like survival story, but the drama lacked - you never really got the feeling that the lead guy was really frightened, unhappy or even upset all that much about being stranded on Mars and facing near certain death. If he doesn't care all that much, why should we?

Indeed.  I liked the movie, but that's pretty much the takeaway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 09:21:27 AM
Saw The Martian. Very pretty evocation of Mars, very interesting Robinson Crusoe-like survival story, but the drama lacked - you never really got the feeling that the lead guy was really frightened, unhappy or even upset all that much about being stranded on Mars and facing near certain death. If he doesn't care all that much, why should we?

Once your ass is in the seat you don't have to. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2015, 11:49:05 AM
Malthus - each astronaut had his or her own data stick for use on the surface, only filled with what they were interested in.  The protagonist IIRC lost his own so had use the ones left behind by the others.

Why does it make sense to store data in personal physical data sticks, on a mission to Mars? Why not store it in weightless bits on the computers they are using anyway?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 03:45:40 PM
Malthus - each astronaut had his or her own data stick for use on the surface, only filled with what they were interested in.  The protagonist IIRC lost his own so had use the ones left behind by the others.

Why does it make sense to store data in personal physical data sticks, on a mission to Mars? Why not store it in weightless bits on the computers they are using anyway?

Because by the time it makes sense to send all those people to Mars that small amount of extra weight won't matter.

celedhring

Just watched DHINO - Die Hard In Name Only. I guess the least said the better. So awful and unfun.

Also, what's up with Jai Courtney and execrable sequels to beloved action franchises?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
Just watched DHINO - Die Hard In Name Only. I guess the least said the better. So awful and unfun.

Also, what's up with Jai Courtney and execrable sequels to beloved action franchises?

They should have stopped after 3.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 03:45:40 PM

Because by the time it makes sense to send all those people to Mars that small amount of extra weight won't matter.

It also makes little sense. There simply isn't any good explanation I can think of for having some music stored, but not all music stored (which basically takes the exact same weight/storage room). Even today, storage of music is basically endless - an iPhone can take thousands of hours. Presumably, computers won't get worse in the future.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Maybe the licenses of the music the astronauts acquired did not allow for transfer to another device or planet. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.