News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2015, 04:20:06 PM
Maybe the licenses of the music the astronauts acquired did not allow for transfer to another device or planet. :P

:lol:

IP lawyers ... in Space!!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2015, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2015, 11:49:05 AM
Malthus - each astronaut had his or her own data stick for use on the surface, only filled with what they were interested in.  The protagonist IIRC lost his own so had use the ones left behind by the others.

Why does it make sense to store data in personal physical data sticks, on a mission to Mars? Why not store it in weightless bits on the computers they are using anyway?

Because by the time it makes sense to send all those people to Mars that small amount of extra weight won't matter.

It also makes little sense. There simply isn't any good explanation I can think of for having some music stored, but not all music stored (which basically takes the exact same weight/storage room). Even today, storage of music is basically endless - an iPhone can take thousands of hours. Presumably, computers won't get worse in the future.

Because it would really suck to be stranded on Mars with no tunes because some jerk, worried about extra weight, made you keep all your tunes stored on the onboard computer.  :P

Eddie Teach

In the Bedroom. Not as kinky as it sounds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2015, 04:27:54 PM
Malthus - each astronaut had his or her own data stick for use on the surface, only filled with what they were interested in.  The protagonist IIRC lost his own so had use the ones left behind by the others.

Why does it make sense to store data in personal physical data sticks, on a mission to Mars? Why not store it in weightless bits on the computers they are using anyway?

Because by the time it makes sense to send all those people to Mars that small amount of extra weight won't matter.

It also makes little sense. There simply isn't any good explanation I can think of for having some music stored, but not all music stored (which basically takes the exact same weight/storage room). Even today, storage of music is basically endless - an iPhone can take thousands of hours. Presumably, computers won't get worse in the future.

Because it would really suck to be stranded on Mars with no tunes because some jerk, worried about extra weight, made you keep all your tunes stored on the onboard computer.  :P

Or forced you for some reason not to store your tunes on your laptop, wristband computer, or anywhere except on a data stick ... that you then lost?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Electronics used in the space program generally are "worse" than equivalent terrestrial electronics due to the need to be significantly more resistant to radiation.  It makes it tougher to have ultra small electronics that can store a whole bunch of data.

I haven't seen the movie, but it's certainly possible that electronics on Mars would have worse performance than an iPhone.

Ideologue

It's so they can make all those jokes about disco music, silly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2015, 04:20:06 PM
Maybe the licenses of the music the astronauts acquired did not allow for transfer to another device or planet. :P

I kid you not, I have signed rights contracts with provisions for exactly that. Never EVER underestimate the unholy combination of lawyers and corporate greed.

katmai

Oh we know all about the wickedness of lawyers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

Conductor 1492 (1924)

It's hard times in Ireland so Terry O'Toole (John Hines) comes to Americky to be a trolley conductor.  Hilarity ensues as our Irishman adjusts to life in the United States, becomes embroiled in a plot to raise rates on the trolley and wins the girl.

It amused me that the Jewish pawnbroker in such films as "Safety Last" is now a vile stereotype; but the pugnacious, drunken Irishman today is the beloved symbol of the University of Notre Dame.

The man who plays Terry O'Toole's father, Dan Mason, starred as the conductor on the "Toonerville Trolley," shorts in the 1920s.  ("Toonerville Trolley" was a newspaper comic from the era.  A number of the funnies were animated at the time, but "Toonerville Trolley" was live action.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2015, 02:49:57 AM
Speaking of cheap, I watched Robin Hood (1922) on Amazon Prime.  It's already a pretty direly misconceived film (the name "Robin Hood" first appears at one hour and seven minutes into the movie, and Douglas Fairbanks doesn't start climbing on shit for several more minutes still), but what was even worse was the awful public domain ragtime score.  You know what goes just swell with a 12th century period piece, particularly scenes of a knight being thrown into a dungeon, or of a lady-in-waiting tortured by a would-be usurper prince seeking information?  Scott Joplin.

:lol:

Was it a Televista print?  Those are awful; Netflix just got a bunch of new ones, so I've been subjecting myself to them.

For the 1938 version of Robin Hood they were worried about being sued by the owners of the 1922 versions copyright holders; that's why almost none of Errol Flynn's adventures are the same as Douglass Fairbanks'.  Flynn's version became the standard and the influence on all future Robin Hoods.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2015, 02:00:57 PM

It amused me that the Jewish pawnbroker in such films as "Safety Last" is now a vile stereotype; but the pugnacious, drunken Irishman today is the beloved symbol of the University of Notre Dame.

Damn holocaust <_<

The stupid Swede stereotype meanwhile just dissapeared. Wonder why.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2015, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2015, 02:00:57 PM

Damn holocaust <_<

Yeah, you Brits didn't exactly cover yourselves in glory dealing with the famine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2015, 03:12:38 PM

Immigration from Poland displaced it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?