News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Les miserables was on tv.
The first song with the ship was actually kind of cool. "Wow, this musical is manly!" Thought I.
The number 631 (or something) exchange was funny.
But it wouldn't stop.
Every fucking minute a song.
In this hell-spawned universe even to take a shit a man must sing evidently.
A weird singing priest decided to donate some candle sticks to a thief and I stopped watching.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Musicals tend to involve a lot of singing, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
Watched some Korean movie last night about the brave and dashing South Korean navy battling it out with the nefarious North Koreans.  They interspersed with historical footage of the relatives wailing and collapsing at a funeral ceremony, so I suppose it's based on a historical incident.  At least according to the movie, the North's secret weapon was a T34 turret mounted on a gun boat.

I've also been enjoying the Korean news broadcasts.  If you're a fan of that Korean plastic look (which at this point I am), they definitely put a lot of heat in front of the camera.  Also checked out some Kpop video at the supermarket while the others were shopping.  That worked well for me too.:perv:
Are you in Korea now? If so we should meet up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Gave "Once Upon a Time in the West" another try, and thought it was decent.  My first try I was put off by Sarah Silverman's lame "I'm a whore and I fuck a lot" lines, but it turns out that's the weakest part of the movie.  Very good role for Doogie Howser.

I channel surfed a few frames of "The Descendents," and it's funny that I thought the daughter in that was hott, then without realizing it's the same chick I thought she was kinda plain in "Divergent."

Timmy:  I am not.  That was all during my LA trip.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2015, 01:37:55 AM
Musicals tend to involve a lot of singing, yes.

Les Misérables is a sung-through musical even, which means no spoken dialogue at all. 

I agree the movie's first scene is the best, and then it goes downhill from that. Tom Hooper's idea of conveying emotion and realism is to put the camera right in front of the actors' faces all film long. I thought his direction was really pedestrian.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2015, 03:19:36 AM
Gave "Once Upon a Time in the West" another try, and thought it was decent.  My first try I was put off by Sarah Silverman's lame "I'm a whore and I fuck a lot" lines, but it turns out that's the weakest part of the movie.  Very good role for Doogie Howser.

Did NPH play Harmonica or Frank?  :unsure:

Kidding. The movie you're talking about is "A Million Ways to Die in the West".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I was trying to remember Sarah Silverman playing a slut in the Morricone film, too.

I love Once Upon a Time in the West. Utterly fantastic film.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2015, 03:38:26 AM

Close enough for government work.

celedhring

I think The Last Action Hero is a great flick, and it has always been one of my favorite Schwarzenegger films, a great spoof of his screen persona and the 80s action film genre as a whole. Most people I meet seem to hate it, though.  Am I: wrong?

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2015, 07:08:11 AM
I think The Last Action Hero is a great flick, and it has always been one of my favorite Schwarzenegger films, a great spoof of his screen persona and the 80s action film genre as a whole. Most people I meet seem to hate it, though.  Am I: wrong?

I agree with it being a good movie, although I'm not sure if it is one of Schwarzenegger's best.  I happen to be friends with one of the screenwriters, a very funny dude although I'm not sure how well his humor translates to the screen.

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on August 24, 2015, 07:58:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2015, 07:08:11 AM

I agree with it being a good movie, although I'm not sure if it is one of Schwarzenegger's best.  I happen to be friends with one of the screenwriters, a very funny dude although I'm not sure how well his humor translates to the screen.

I hope this means you're buddies with Shane Black. Or Zak Penn at least.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2015, 03:44:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2015, 03:38:26 AM

Close enough for government work.

:mad:

In the government, we have to be very precise.  I too was deeply confused over your comments on OUATITW.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

So Dawn of the Walking Dead got off to a good start. Intense, fast-paced.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2015, 11:21:51 AM
So Dawn of the Walking Dead got off to a good start. Intense, fast-paced.

*Fear.

And yeah, I enjoyed it. Though I'm not sure I like the characters all that much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Not all our passengers were equally impressed by the promotion campaign:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk