And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2014, 11:17:31 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2014, 11:13:46 AM
But surely the villains are all drawn from the comics.
Yeah. But all the Marvel villains could be compelling in the comics - but wouldn't necessarily work in the films.

I wonder if it's in part because outside comic-geekery a lot of the Avengers characters really aren't that well known, so they did a lot of work on them. They needed to make those characters known and good enough to sustain this whole universe of sequels and spin-offs. X-Men, Batman, Spiderman were already really famous.

Yeah, the work they have made on those characters is commendable. Marvel pawned off their most famous characters in the 90s (Spiderman, the X-Men universe, the Fantastic 4, the Hulk*) yet they have managed to make multimillion dollar franchises out of the scraps they retained.

Now, they have to put the same work in their villains. Loki's been in 3 movies already and he's still a charisma black hole.

*Got this one back when the first film didn't work.

Syt

Of the ones I've seen:

Avengers
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Thor
Cap
Iron Man 2
Hulk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Watched After Earth.  Danger, stay away, do not watch even if you are strapped into a chair with your eye lids taped open and your gaze is directed to a monitor showing the movie.

The only redeeming thing is that it was on DVR and so I could fast forward to confirm the movie would end exactly as everyone knew it would after watching the first few minutes.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 11:08:48 AM
Can anybody recall a good Marvel villain? The only memorable one I remember was The Mandarin [spoiler]and that's because he ends up not being the villain at all[/spoiler]. Compare it to Magneto in the X-Men films, Doc Oc in Spiderman 2, The Joker...
Outside of the movies, are there any good villains?  My anime watching years are too far behind to see that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I thought Loki in the first Thor movie was a decent villain. Ultimately his plan was to protect Asgard from the Frost Giants for good (and thus gain his father's approval), making "necessary" sacrifices along the way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Turn.

It's a story about the first american spy network, well, the first american spy from what I see.  The colonial army doesn't want to hear anything about spies so far, but I'm guessing they change their mind, otherwise, there'd be no series ;)

Haven't finished the episode yet.  But Roger's Rangers with a scottish accent?  The guy was an american frontiersman from what I know, the Loyalist's equivalent of Daniel Boone.   And the British seem just as bad as the nazis, with the colonials, so far, being portrayed as noble heroes.  Meh.  The Patriot meets Braveheart?  Will see tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2014, 09:17:45 AM
Pure. Awesomeness.  :D

I got into a discussion with a young I'm-so-into-comics-I-only-read-graphic-novels hipster once about Batman villains, and I specifically mentioned King Tut, and he looked at me with a disgust and loathing that crossed generations.   I was so glad I ruined his day. :P

Fucking comic book hipsters.  BATUSI FTW YOU SNOT NOSED LITTLE SHIT

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 09:07:47 AM
Nah, I agree that Burton's Batmans haven't aged gracefully. Batman Returns was always my favorite anyway.

Congrats, you made The List.(tm)

And you're supposed to be an artist.   :rolleyes:

QuoteSpiderman 3 soured a lot of people on Toby Maguire's Spiderman (and for good reason, it was stupidly horrible and horribly stupid), but the first two films are very good.

New Spidey is better than Tobey Spidey.  Much more accurate Peter Parker.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2014, 09:17:45 AM
Pure. Awesomeness.  :D

I got into a discussion with a young I'm-so-into-comics-I-only-read-graphic-novels hipster once about Batman villains, and I specifically mentioned King Tut, and he looked at me with a disgust and loathing that crossed generations.   I was so glad I ruined his day. :P

Fucking comic book hipsters.  BATUSI FTW YOU SNOT NOSED LITTLE SHIT

:lol:  :thumbsup:

There is nothing so sad as the sight of grown men taking comic book superheroes so totally seriously as to leech all the fun out of them. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

New Spidey is a forgettable nonentity.

Man of Steel was horribly miscast as well.

Sheilbh

So I'm watching Spiral (Engrenages). It's wonderful and I had no idea it was so Wire-ish.

First series was largely about truly rancid corruption in the French elite - human trafficking, paedophilia and dead prostitutes.

Now half-way through the second series and the main thrust is about a drug gang.

I do spend a large amount of time wondering how the French system works though. I'd love it if Juge Roban got an intern and had to draw a diagram of how investigating judges, police, prosecutors, other lawyers and magistrates interact :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2014, 03:44:26 PM
:lol:  :thumbsup:

There is nothing so sad as the sight of grown men taking comic book superheroes so totally seriously as to leech all the fun out of them.

mongers

Is the 2nd hobbit movie worth 2+ hours of my time?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Whatever we say you're going to do the opposite, so I say no.

Ed Anger

No. None of those Peter Jackson abortions on a wire hanger are.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive