Ed Anger

Hey. A+++++

Better than King Kong.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

It's no Operation Dumbo Drop.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

I gave Ishtar[/i ]a B+.  So go fuck yourselves, you Butterfly Effect fags.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2014, 04:03:47 PMIt's more, that I'd seen most of 'Michael Clayton' when it came out, whereas I'd never seen 'Cross of Iron'' plus on seeing in the op.credits it was a Sam Peckinpaw(sp) swung it for me.

Seen Cross of Iron many times as a kid. It was one of my dad's favorite movies. Didn't get nearly as much play time as A Bridge Too Far, though. He watched that one once a month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I think the one war movie I watch the most is Tora! Tora! Tora!  If I'm bored and nothing's on TV, I'll cue that one up in Netflix.  A Bridge Too Far is a close second.

katmai

Bridge Too Far is on, i stop and watch. I'm a sucker for it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Pearl Harbor was on yesterday.  Ten minutes of that, and I wanted to apologize to the Japanese.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2014, 01:44:57 PM
And the British seem just as bad as the nazis, with the colonials, so far, being portrayed as noble heroes. 

Freedom fighters. :contract:

You want a show about the American Revolution where the British are the good guys, make it yourself.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2014, 07:09:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 05:52:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
Congrats, you made The List.(tm)

And you're supposed to be an artist.   :rolleyes:

Now, I need to know the reason... is it because I think the Burton Batman films haven't aged well or is it because I said Batman Returns was my favorite?  :P

Sadly, there is no middle ground when it comes to Burton Batmans beyond the first.   :mad:

Dunno, I just think Returns is more successful at what the first attempts; being an expressionistic take on the superhero theme.

And the fact I don't think they have aged well doesn't mean I don't think they are above average films, they just aren't the bestestest.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2014, 08:14:29 PM
Shameless

[spoiler]Nice to see that they finally have put the chips down of Ian's bipolar disorder. I didn't quite guess at it/realized I was buying the stated narrative that he was always on drugs.

I'm a little confused as to why the return of Jimmy/Steve is being touted as a shocker by entertainment rags. It always seemed liked a distinct possibility given that we didn't see him die. Apparently though they'd kept season finale reveal from the cast as well.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Yeah, certainly seemed druggy to me, though I guess it would explain the craziness with the army. Quite extreme bipolarity though...[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 07, 2014, 10:04:05 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 10:10:01 AM
Iron Man 2 5th best?  :huh:

Above both Cap movies?

Sure.  Iron Man 2 comes together, Cap 1 falls apart, Cap 2 is a tepid and poorly shot exercise in doing obvious things.

Iron Man 2 comes together about as well as your ideology. It's a bloated mess of a movie in which nothing of import happens.

Cap 2 is shot brilliantly, it's not its fault that your inner ear canals are as narrow as that of the ancestral ape that spawned the hominids. If the tiny amount of shaking used in this movie rendered you unable to comprehend the beauty of the action scenes therein then one shudders to think what you thought of the Bourne trilogy. The fight scenes in this movie blow any of Thor's out of the water and are the best in MCU. It's not just the fight choreography, although it's excellent, it's that Cap is fighting real people instead of green screen illusions which lend the fights real weight.

Obvious? Sure the movie follows comic book conventions, but all of Marvel's movies do. The Winter Soldier does it in a way that is more grounded than most however, making it more realistic and visceral by harkening back to the spy thrillers of the 70s. And unlike Iron Man 2, the events in the movie actually matter. [spoiler]SHIELD is disbanded and it's secrets are dumped on the internet. Nick Fury is on the run! Hydra is revealed to have infiltrated the government to a staggering extent and is behind who knows how much of government/SHIELD policy over the last few decades. They were behind the killing of Howard Stark, and Stane was almost certainly a member. The destruction of SHIELD will surely be the catalyst for building Ultron.[/spoiler] There will be vast repercussions to these events in the TV shows and future movies.

Also, you're blind if you don't think this movie was about The Winter Soldier. But the winter soldier is not Bucky, it's Captain America, for no sunshine patriot is he who will in this crisis shrink away from the service of his country. Nor will he shrink from telling the Truth about the crimes carried out by his government. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2014, 12:19:48 AM
Pearl Harbor was on yesterday.  Ten minutes of that, and I wanted to apologize to the Japanese.

Michael Bay treated that subject with as much care as he handled Transformers.  I especially liked the completely invented attack on the hospital, I mean was their something insufficiently evil about what the Japanese actually did in World War 2 that required a hatchet job?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

I meant cut, not shot. I didn't develop motion sickness. At work, further comments in further time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 08, 2014, 12:37:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2014, 01:44:57 PM
And the British seem just as bad as the nazis, with the colonials, so far, being portrayed as noble heroes. 

Freedom fighters. :contract:

You want a show about the American Revolution where the British are the good guys, make it yourself.  :mad:
I wanted nuance, but after watching the full episode, I think it's there, and I think it'll turn into a good show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

So now the comic nerd rage-war is over can we get back to discussing proper cinema and film.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"