News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Btw, if you ever feel like reading the worst review Roger Ebert ever wrote, check out his one-star review of The Raid: Redemption, where he 1)ignores the goals of the movie, 2)misses the themes, which are present, although obviously submerged in all the cool fighting (see 1), and 3)wonders aloud where the "redemption" is, apparently entirely unaware that the appended colon and noun are almost random, and purely the result of the production reality that another recent movie called The Raid existed.  I wish I'd known about it when I was writing about how selectively he followed his own rule, of rating a movie based on its own goals and whether it accomplishes them or not.  It's purely "I don't like well-staged action for its own sake," which is actually fine--I don't take issue with his dislike--but rather how condescending he is toward people who do like it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

It's almost shocking that he was paid well for reviewing (and even writing) films, and you haven't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

It's almost a pity that he got jaw cancer and you didn't.  Oops.  Typo!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 02:17:44 AM
Anyway, The Raid (2012).  Holy shit is this what I'm talking about when I say "good action."  Dredd, oh Dredd... you're still prettier.  (Tim, in case you don't hate my guts now,
I don't hate fools, just pity them. :Mr.T:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 01:46:10 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 09, 2014, 10:52:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 07:29:59 PM
I can't decide whether to give Grand Budapest Hotel an A or an A+.

A++

Ah, sold.  I'll have to re-rate The Lego Movie at the end of the year.

Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

QuoteWes Anderson's best-looking, funniest film, and Goddamn is that better than good enough. Grand Budapest Hotel lacks the high emotion of Anderson's very best, but it remains what it is: exuberance and excellence incarnate.

This is a hotel for ants!

A+

Wait, you say that it isn't one of Anderson's very best, yet you give him the maximum grade?  :hmm:

Since I already made CdM's list I'll say that I really don't like Wes Anderson, by the way, but I'm pretty alone on that.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 02:01:46 AM
Btw, if you ever feel like reading the worst review Roger Ebert ever wrote, check out his one-star review of The Raid: Redemption,

Looking at his reviews of movies I've seen recently, he was pretty unfair to Body Double and Big Trouble In Little China as well.  I think by the mid-80s he was feeling embattled as a defender of old-school liberal values in the onslaught of new Hollywood productions, and tended not to really understand the more "postmodern" films of the period that shared stylistic elements of the slasher/action/etc. movies.

Ebert had a decent appreciation for visuals, in my recollection, but always subordinated them to a "good" narrative, in the modernist understanding of the term.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

celedhring

He also was pretty militant about the abuse of violence in film (which indeed is too a postmodernist trait)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2014, 08:37:58 AM
He also was pretty militant about the abuse of violence in film (which indeed is too a postmodernist trait)

Yeah.  I think by the mid-90s he had kind of resigned himself to it, allowing him to give grudging respect to Tarantino et al, but from about Halloween on, he was fighting the good fight.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Josquius

Class of 1984- Another thing my random searches for full movies on youtube threw up. Weird film from 1982 set in a distant two years hence future where there are metal detectors in schools and gangs dominate.
Meh.
Good guy ignorant teacher gets a job, reaches some kids, runs afoul of the super smart gang leader, shit ensues.
From the very first scene where he gets home and meets his wife I just looked at her and knew "That bitch gonna get raped" (in ghetto voice). Yep. She does. Fairly by the numbers,
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Class of 1999 is better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Class of '84 is such an awesome movie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 01:46:10 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 09, 2014, 10:52:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 07:29:59 PM
I can't decide whether to give Grand Budapest Hotel an A or an A+.

A++

Ah, sold.  I'll have to re-rate The Lego Movie at the end of the year.

Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

QuoteWes Anderson's best-looking, funniest film, and Goddamn is that better than good enough. Grand Budapest Hotel lacks the high emotion of Anderson's very best, but it remains what it is: exuberance and excellence incarnate.

This is a hotel for ants!

A+

Read the review and I actually completely agree with everything in it. Enjoyable review.  :)

Adrien Brody's first line in the movie is immaculate.  :lol:

I'd have to watch it again but it's probably my favorite Wes Anderson film. It's just so damn funny.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 02:27:52 AM
It's almost a pity that he got jaw cancer and you didn't.  Oops.  Typo!

Oh, like you are going to live to your 70's. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2014, 03:04:54 AM
Since I already made CdM's list I'll say that I really don't like Wes Anderson, by the way, but I'm pretty alone on that.

I've had so many friends who love his movies that I pretty much don't dare to say more than "He's OK, but not my favorite."  I haven't bothered to see half of them.

I thought the last one I saw a couple years ago, with twee Boy Scouts on Martha's Vineyard in 1962 or whatever, was crap.