News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

And I will pass for the time being.  Del's up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Played the home card to see Charles to Brussels.

The four guys in Portsmouth went to London, and Charles plus eight guys went to Antwerp. The English failed both interception rolls so I assumed they did not want field battles.

The English are: up.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

I was trying to explain all the reasons why we can't wait for you to move, even assuming that Antwerp is "yours", but then I decided I'll just hope it was a joke.  :hug:

Berkut

Del, barring some epic failure on your part to take them after attempting it and to prolong the game, I will not be using Treachery on either key.

I may do so if you try to take them and fail, of course - but I expect that you can take them without me blowing a 5 CP card for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

Then I hope you will reconsider.

1. In London I have two dice against his three, that won't work.

2. In Antwerp I do have a pretty good shot, assuming Henry just sits still and allows me to take it. Odds are he'll attack me instead. Tamas will intercept on 8 or more. If he fails I'll get my ass kicked. The good news is that Henry will be in Antwerp, which means Tamas can attack Calais and hope Henry misses his 8+ interception. If that happens Tamas will need treachery against Calais.

Rather than all the ifs and buts of (2) you ought to use Treachery on London. Why? It is safer, causes more damage and because you said you would use it against England to prolong the game, much as Habbaku said he would do his part in helping bringing England down if me and Tamas poured the CPs in. Well, I have, and given Tamas a card to get us this chance to prolong the game and I have yet to see Habs or you contribute. I've played this entire turn wasting CPs on the assumption you would help.

In all fairness, I think you owe us Treachery. I deem it most useful against London.

Berkut

Holy fuck, are you kidding me? I've burned card after card after card after card trying to keep England down a few VPs, not to mention trying to keep the Protestants from winning (they are at 24 you know).

Christ, the idea that I have not contributed?

I said I would use Treachery if it was needed to prolong the game. That doesn't mean I will use it to avoid *you* needing to burn a card. It will be the last card in my hand. You still have 2 cards to take a shot at London. (He has 1 unit there, that is 2 dice, not three, and you only need 1 hit - that means you have a little better than even odds of taking it by spending 1 CP, as opposed to me blowing 5).

Those 5 CPS can mean another debate AND a CR attempt. So no, I will NOT use Treachery before it is absolutely needed.

0 rows returned

Delirium

Okay, what I meant was "contributed with treachery or other cards that would help take keys". I know you've done a lot of religious shit but we need to take keys as well.

Besides, I told you at the start of this turn that I have Anabaptists, I've been holding that for a case when you need it, partly because you would play Treachery.

Berkut

Well, since I never said I would play Treachery at the start of the turn, I kind of doubt that. In fact, it was a huge mistake on my part to even mention that I had it, since everyone immediately started playing like THEY had it.

In any case, I will play Treachery if it is needed, but I will let England win rather than lay it to avoid you guys having to pay 1 CP to initiate a siege.

Ideally, you take London and Antwerp without Treachery, then I can play it to CR some more spaces in England, then we can extend the game and hopefully not have to spend the entire next turn stopping England and the Protestants from winning again.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:01:40 AM
In any case, I will play Treachery if it is needed

No, no, it's clearly needed.  You should go ahead and play Treachery immediately.   :lmfao:

Delirium

Delirium

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:01:40 AMI will let England win

I'm leaning towards that conclusion as well.

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on June 25, 2009, 09:21:42 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:01:40 AMI will let England win

I'm leaning towards that conclusion as well.

Do not quote me out of context, that just isn't nice.

Why are you so insistent that I burn a card in such an inefficient manner?

0 rows returned

Delirium

Sorry about the quote, guess it wasn't funny.

It's not the card in itself, I suppose I'm growing tired of this game. Maybe it's that I hate diplomacy games, maybe it's just too hot here...