News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lord of the Rings Online thread

Started by Berkut, March 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

If not challenging WoW is the measure for failure have fun with your soon to be failure of an mmorpg in gw2.

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on August 21, 2012, 03:25:37 AM
If not challenging WoW is the measure for failure have fun with your soon to be failure of an mmorpg in gw2.

I'm not so sure about it.

You see, WoW did create a new standard in MMORPGs because they took the familiar experience of Everquest and other MMORPGs and asked themselves "ok what isn't fun?" and either completely removed or improved these things (I haven't played a lot of MMORPGs before WoW but I understand these things were heavy penalties for death, lootable player corpses in PvP, no structured PvP, no instances, kill stealing, etc.). And then pretty much every single MMORPG that came afterwards did exactly the same thing as they did, only with a worse delivery.

Now, I feel like GW2 is doing the same thing that Blizzard did with WoW - they took WoW and asked what isn't fun: static combat, static quests with questgivers, not being able to play with friends of different levels, high levels in low level areas, remote end game/reliance on top level, too many skills on your bar, travel time, first-to-cap kill stealing, first-to-cap ore/herb stealing, corpse runs, the holy trinity (and yeah some MMORPGs tried some of these things already but did not deliver) - and either removed or improved them.

So yeah, GW2 may fail, but I think they are creating a new standard. And I think the delivery is top notch.

szmik

I played WoW trial 2 weeks, and I didn't like it. But I don't think MMORPGs are the genre for me anyway.

I like LotRO because of setting and lore. And it ages very well. The most fun I find there is running instances/raids. Difficulty level makes it fun every time, even if I know them by heart now. Too bad most of them in LotRO don't scale with level, and drops are vendor trash in general.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Sophie Scholl

Made it to 15 today.  Rather grindy, but not to the point where I want to quit.  Crafting is actually quite useful for a change, which is nice.  I can make stuff that is actually useful instead of having to wait till max level and sink ungodly sums of money into it a la WoW.  The RP, or total lack of, on Laurelin so far leaves a lot to be desired.  I'm thinking of checking out Landroval, even though it is only RP encouraged and not a full RP server.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

szmik

You know, people RPing are the ones with name in white.
You can turn rp mode on using "/rp on" command in chat, so others see you're RPing type.
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Sophie Scholl

Haha.  No, no I did not.  I'm used to having TRP2 going in WoW and the community that exists there.  I've only made it to Bree, but all I've seen of really anyone talking is a smattering of mixed IC and OOC drama in the Pony.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

szmik

RP chat is off by default too, I think you should turn it on in chat filters. There should be also global rp chat, but I don't know exact name, probably something like grp. You would have to join it manually.
I suggest asking about it on advice channel. Considering it's rp server someone will probably explain details. Otherwise try lotro forum.

Sophie Scholl

Thanks for the tips.  It's appreciated. :thumbsup: