News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lord of the Rings Online thread

Started by Berkut, March 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Jaron on July 11, 2009, 08:26:17 PM
If you want to try something new, different and without those boring grinds, come try out World of Warcraft.

:lol:  Considering that game, due to its massive success, has infested all others of the genre with its 'common dominator' streamlining mentatlity - and considering I've got a lvl 80 mage sitting on a server somewhere collecting dust - I think I'll pass thank you.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

Turbine has announced a new digital expansion for LotRO: Seige of Angmar:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=289328

QuoteNEW FEATURES:

The Epic Conclusion to Volume II: Mines of Moria™ – Under the command of Celeborn and Galadriel, players will fight through vast armies of Orcs alongside the Elves of Lórien in a battle that will take them to Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths. This update includes Book 9 and the Epilogue to the sweeping epic tale begun with the award-winning Mines of Moria expansion.

Increased Level Cap — Players will be able advance their characters up to level 65, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests.

Answer the Call of War! – Jump into the heat of battle with the new Skirmishes feature. Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow. Answer the call of war wherever violence erupts with the new "World Join" function that lets players and their fellowships band together to fight in various locations throughout Middle-earth.

Take up Arms! – Infiltrate the dark jails, deadly arenas and savage stables of Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths, and strike a blow against Sauron's forces in new 3 and 6-player instances. Call upon your fellows to adventure into the most deadly 12-player raid yet and face the ultimate challenge – the Nazgûl Lord!

Major Gameplay Enhancements – Turbine continues to improve the award-winning experience of LOTRO with major improvements to the combat and Legendary Items systems. Players will experience improved responsiveness when in the heat of battle. Players will also be able to create and craft their own customized Second and Third Age Legendary Items from raw materials and grow their weapons' power to level 60. Achieve new Legacies, new titles, and a fourth Runic slot that will make Legendary Items even more unique and powerful.

This is not a full feldged XPack - the Riders of Rohan XPack is due in 2010.  But following the Book 9 update that revamped the crafting system somewhat it should breath new life into the game.  :)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sophie Scholl

How does one craft a Second Age item?  I do not recall time travel in LotR mythology, outside of the very earliest storylines where a modern youth goes back to the time of his distant ancestors family, that of Elendil and sons.

Other than that, I really wish my ancient rig could run this at pretty levels, as I would love to switch to it from WoW. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grallon

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on September 07, 2009, 03:08:03 PM
How does one craft a Second Age item?  I do not recall time travel in LotR mythology, outside of the very earliest storylines where a modern youth goes back to the time of his distant ancestors family, that of Elendil and sons.

Contentious point for many, including myself.  I do not like the Legendary Items system as it is now.  One goes through endless numbers of items, deconstruct them in order to acquire legacies and reforge new items until one finally acquire *the* perfect one...  A mind-numbing grind through the same instances across Moria.

I'm busy levelling other alts to get the full array of professions for gearing up my main. I quite enjoy the Lore Master.

G. 

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

The Siege of Moria Digital Update will launch on Dec 1st ->

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=293697

Those who upgrade their accounts before oct 31st will get it free.  There's also an addon pack one can buy for 19.99$

And since the announcement earlier this pm - the account management site is crashed  :D

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grallon

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 03:26:57 PM
What is a "Sige" ?

Smartass :)

And I'm going lifer!  After 6 months I've gone through the threshold and I'm not burned out as with WoW so for 200$ no more subscriptions fees and the goodies are free as well! :w00t:

G.

~Jean-François Revel

BuddhaRhubarb

I tried to sign up for this. but no mac compat that I could see. :bleeding: mac users are nerds too!
:p

Grey Fox

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
I tried to sign up for this. but no mac compat that I could see. :bleeding: mac users are nerds too!

Get Boot camp & dual boot a Windows Partition.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Of all the MMOs I have played I liked this one the best.  I just dont have the time to sink into an MMO.

Grallon

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2009, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:35:49 PM

Get Boot camp & dual boot a Windows Partition.

IIRC he is using a PowerPC Mac.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Here's the latest trailer for the upcoming "Seige of Mirkwood" Digital Expension for LotRO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRWLtt2KuM

G.

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Are they adding any other classes or just adding content?