News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

What's the name of the upcoming AGEOD game?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2009, 06:29:04 PM
Even in the Victoria timeframe some degree of consolidation was possible.   Savoy went on to unify Italy and gain a few minor colonies, for the biggest example I can think of. 

Piedmont went from being a minor regional power to a being either a strong regional power or a very weak great power.  That's a pretty exceptional case dependent on exceptional circumstances. 

QuoteTiny Belgium managed to gain some significant colonies for another.

They got the Congo mainly because France and Britain really didn't want the other to get it and Belgium was a good compromise since they were totally innocuous and had good relations with both competing powers.

I don't see a problem with a game design that allows small powers to get a few colonies through determined effort and diplomacy.  But if Belgium is generating more economic production than France, it is a problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2009, 03:41:38 PM
Yeah, rather than moving the ending back they should have moved the beginning up to 1795.

I think any Victoria game needs to start right after Greek and South American Independence.  Starting with the Spanish and Ottoman Empires intact is as silly as starting EU with the Byzantine Empire still in existance...oh wait.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2009, 07:43:01 AM
In an odd way. The year is 1836 and we have Italy, Germany, and Turkey on the map. Those could be regions rather than countries, but then we also have Sweden on the map. :huh:

It is obviously the regions of the map and not countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 09:40:59 AM
start right after Greek  Independence. 

I WILL RESTORE THE EMPIRE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2009, 09:45:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 09:40:59 AM
start right after Greek  Independence. 

I WILL RESTORE THE EMPIRE!

The Pelopennesian League is mobilizing!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 09:43:58 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2009, 07:43:01 AM
In an odd way. The year is 1836 and we have Italy, Germany, and Turkey on the map. Those could be regions rather than countries, but then we also have Sweden on the map. :huh:

It is obviously the regions of the map and not countries.

Wierd regions then. Beta comment #1: rename sweden scandanavia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Yeah, if those are region names, then they're not very well chosen.  Hungary should be Balkans, Poland should be Estern Europe, Turkey should be Asia Minor, etc.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2009, 10:46:26 AM
Yeah, if those are region names, then they're not very well chosen.  Hungary should be Balkans, Poland should be Estern Europe, Turkey should be Asia Minor, etc.

Those are not geographical regions either.  Those are regions where people of that particular nationality live.

KRonn

I especially like tweaking and working with the economy system in Vicky:Revs. I hope the economic aspect is made even more engrossing, more added to it, though I don't have any good ideas. After all, economy is what drives what you can do elsewhere in the game.

Tamas

Quote from: Lucidor on August 20, 2009, 08:21:15 AM
What's the name of the upcoming AGEOD game?

Vainglory of Nations

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2009, 09:38:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2009, 06:29:04 PM
Even in the Victoria timeframe some degree of consolidation was possible.   Savoy went on to unify Italy and gain a few minor colonies, for the biggest example I can think of. 

Piedmont went from being a minor regional power to a being either a strong regional power or a very weak great power.  That's a pretty exceptional case dependent on exceptional circumstances. 

QuoteTiny Belgium managed to gain some significant colonies for another.

They got the Congo mainly because France and Britain really didn't want the other to get it and Belgium was a good compromise since they were totally innocuous and had good relations with both competing powers.

I don't see a problem with a game design that allows small powers to get a few colonies through determined effort and diplomacy.  But if Belgium is generating more economic production than France, it is a problem.

Well then I'm not sure we're disagreeing.  We agree a tiny country shouldn't be able to best a major power over the short period of the game, but that things shouldn't be static either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Will there be any swastikas?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2009, 03:39:28 PM
Hitler must be very pleased!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3UcdONzp1k

Wow they have Hitler videos about everything now don't they?