News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 23, 2009, 02:55:59 AM
Eh, I liked the ending with Roslin and Adama.

I can see Adama wanting to spend time with Roslin as she's dieing.  But according to the show he never plans on seeing his own son again, which is just ridiculous.  And Tigh, his best friend for decades, the man who has stood with Adama through countless disasters, he just abandons as well, without even a good bye.  It's just frakkin stupid.

Grinning_Colossus

I got the impression that he was planning on kicking the bucket at some point in the very near future, too, but had chosen to lay off the melodrama for once.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

KRonn

I watched the finale. I also found it quite odd how they split up so much. They're an advanced society, and aside from their own knowledge, they should have been able to bring things from the ships to help them live and thrive. Then why they sent the ships into the Sun is beyond me. Those are what they'd need, and they could have used them as living places parked on the planet, I'd think.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on March 23, 2009, 07:48:09 AM
I watched the finale. I also found it quite odd how they split up so much. They're an advanced society, and aside from their own knowledge, they should have been able to bring things from the ships to help them live and thrive. Then why they sent the ships into the Sun is beyond me. Those are what they'd need, and they could have used them as living places parked on the planet, I'd think.
I think you are using logic to analyze a plot development not built around logic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

This sounds like a cool series. Should I watch it? :o

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 08:01:32 AM
I enjoyed the first two seasons (a few eps were clunkers, but the best eps were very good indeed).  I couldn't get through the third, and have no intention of even starting again.

I think it would be worth your while to watch the first two seasons, and then decide whether or not to go on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Buy Space: Above and Beyond instead Marty.  At least then you'll get some good action and a sonud war going. 
PDH!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 08:01:32 AM

One of the characters is gay.

Neil

No right-thinking person should ever watch this abomination.  Then again, it seems to be popular with homosexuals.  I suppose that abominations should flock together.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Oh do shut up Neil !

-----

I am in mourning.  I can't stop reading everything I can find about it.  Forum discussions, reviews, essays...  Who would have thought a TV show would have more impact on me than real people !?  But then people, up close, are always revealed for the scums they are.  Whereas here, by proxy, they can be loved or admired... *sigh*

-----

Here's another review, designed for you Vinraith  ;)

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/03/20/bsg-watch-a-long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away/

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on March 23, 2009, 07:48:09 AM

The problem they created for themselves (again) is that they tried to create an ending where Galactica came to earth 150,000 years in our past.  How to do that without leaving any archeological footprint - get everyone to revert to hunter gatherers.  But even then they fail because Baltar went on and on about how he knows about farming and the other characters talked about finding good areas to farm - somthing that didnt happen for another 140,000 years give or take.

BuddhaRhubarb

I think it's ridiculous if they really only had the clothes on their backs kind of thing. I'm sure that several years of living in cramped conditions in space would be weird. But enough to make you even consider going native? No. Also can't see Baltar (or anyone else) not using his scientific acumen, or farming knowledge to do something likely on a big scale that no one on the planet would be doing for 10's of thousands of years to come. It would be a very different world I thnk.
:p

Berkut

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 23, 2009, 12:16:23 PM
I think it's ridiculous if they really only had the clothes on their backs kind of thing. I'm sure that several years of living in cramped conditions in space would be weird. But enough to make you even consider going native? No. Also can't see Baltar (or anyone else) not using his scientific acumen, or farming knowledge to do something likely on a big scale that no one on the planet would be doing for 10's of thousands of years to come. It would be a very different world I thnk.

Indeed. You cannot have it both ways.

Either that used their knowledge to advance human development incredibly (in which case such advancement would be obvious), or they did not, in which they all most died.

But don't think about the plot too hard! It is all about the characters after all!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

I assume they gave up all technology to stop what happened on New Caprica. One nuclear explosion from Cloud 9 gave away the location of the colony to the Cylons. Cavil's faction is still around, right? They'd still want to settle the score...