News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2009, 02:16:47 PM

It's weird but on the forum where that poll was held, the actual posts seem far less one-sided than the poll.

Was Highlander 2 really all that bad?  Highlander 1 wasn't exactly Shakespeare. :-[

Highlander 2 is legendary. Have a look around the web.

viper37

It seems 2.18gb of data is slow to download...  I'll watch it tonight.  Don't want to see this show is SD, fuck no.

Btw, I got the 1st season and the Mini-Series on HD-DVD.  How nice it is :)
That was a good show, sometime ago.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on March 21, 2009, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2009, 02:16:47 PM

It's weird but on the forum where that poll was held, the actual posts seem far less one-sided than the poll.

Was Highlander 2 really all that bad?  Highlander 1 wasn't exactly Shakespeare. :-[

Highlander 2 is legendary. Have a look around the web.
It's not as bad as Quest for the Mighty Sword.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

I really enjoyed the characters and the acting from the few episodes I've seen. It's unfortunate the writing in the end didn't live up to those two other key ingredients.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 21, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
I really enjoyed the characters and the acting from the few episodes I've seen. It's unfortunate the writing in the end didn't live up to those two other key ingredients.

BSG is testament to how awesome you can make a mystery if you don't have to provide answers in the end.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grallon

Here http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/03/battlestar-galactica-daybreak-finale-moore-mcdonnell-olmos.html#more are some answers from Ron Moore himself.  Well at least we know what he was thinking when he made the choices we saw reflected in the show.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

vinraith

The characters get a bit... muddled over the run of the show, but the acting is consistently superb even when the writing utterly fails to support it.

Neil

When will Grallon admit that I was right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Vin, I think you were setting yourself up for bitter disappointment.  You have defended this tooth and nail and tried your best to think of possible explanations for all the plot holes.  They didnt answer any of those plot holes and just gave up on others (like Thrace and the head people).

I recognized there was no way they could possibly overcome the plot holes and so did experience the same disappointment.  You are just feeling what I was when Tigh became a Cylon alone with all the unfixable problems that brought.

But I guess I am still a bit disappointed about that.  The whole final five/opera house dream sequences meant nothing more then getting the golden child to the Bridge.  :( 

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2009, 10:05:38 PM
The whole final five/opera house dream sequences meant nothing more then getting the golden child to the Bridge.  :(

Yeah I thought that was kinda silly. Usually prophetic dreams mean more than walking from one room to another.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Meh, I am not really that outraged. I knew there was no way they were going to be able to make any sense of the people talking to Baltar, or THrace.

The thing is, Baltar talking to the Seven has been around forever - hard to get away from it, although they could have simply said he was a bit nuts.

The Thrace thing - they came up with that abortion of a plotline just recently. And her finding her body was not necessary to the story - so why do it? They had to know there was no damn way to ever explain that in any real way, so why do it?

Then she agonizes over what she is...but then she is ok, BUT NOT WITH ANY EXPLANATION? Even for her?

Sigh. And that is just an easy example.

Did they really imply that fucking Baltar was god?

I am going to go watch Band of Brothers. Try to have my faith restored in quality television.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2009, 03:46:19 PM

BSG is testament to how awesome you can make a mystery if you don't have to provide answers in the end.

Just imagine how great BSG would be if the entire cast, writers, and production crew were killed in a plane crash about two years ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grinning_Colossus

Eh, even crashing deep in the Amazon and having to learn first hand about the lives of hunter-gatherers would have helped.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

BuddhaRhubarb

yeah they kinda blew it ... though I admit to liking bits of it.

This thing that Moore said in an interview... that the show was all about the characters. Well I think he forgot, actually it's about the fans too. He should've learned from the horrible ending to Deep Space Nine. Same pattern quality episodes in the final run, then the finale is all about extended goodbyes and personal arcs ending, but not the big plot holes that the fans (who ultimately pay the bills by tuning in) who were actually really into the plot so casually discarded.
:p

Scipio

The triumph of Mormon nihilism?  How sad.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt