Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteUndead Tarkin was a mistake, though, I just hope they're not going to try to do the same to Alec Guinness going forward.

The next Star Trek reboot will be done entirely with the original cast!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2016, 09:08:51 AM
Yeah that's a good descriptor. Overall a better effort than the Force Awakened. Undead Tarkin was a mistake, though, I just hope they're not going to try to do the same to Alec Guinness going forward.

Actually, the grittier vibe was something I'd been looking forward to since Michael Stackpole wrote the first Rogue Squadron book.  It felt like such an homage to that vein of the Star Wars Legacy books that when Bail mentioned dropped the line about [spoiler]"I trust her with my life,"[/spoiler] I was hoping for a little while that they would find a way to get Winter into the new canon with all of her eidetic-memory badassery.

Regarding Tarkin, I thought his scenes were well-executed and just added to the cutthroat vibe we got from Peter Cushing in A New Hope.  What I found more jarring was [spoiler]Leia's cameo at the end.  They didn't use mocap from Carrie Fisher for obvious reasons, but I suspect that the makeup was supplemented with a animated composite of Carrie Fisher's face that wasn't quite flawless- for a second, it seemed to stretch really broad and also suffered from a bit of "waxy face syndrome," though both were still far superior to other attempts to do the same[/spoiler].
[spoiler]
Experience bij!

derspiess

Wish I had had a chance to catch all the details you guys caught.  I was too busy telling my kids to be quiet & stop fighting with each other, getting them food, taking my daughter to the bathroom three times, etc.  YEAH LETS DO THAT AGAIN
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Just watched it, really liked it. The end was totally Saving Private Ryan...in space!!

Re: The Vietnam war movie comparisons, there's a scene near the end in which one of the rebel soldiers had three cartridge thingies on one side of his helmet that totally looked like cigarettes. It was only missing having "Born to kill" written on its side.

celedhring

Taking my mom to it tomorrow. I NEED to watch that ending again. :blush:

I also got an offer for a third viewing, but that'd probably be too much. Will wait for the home release.

Sophie Scholl

I have yet to see it and haven't read through this thread yet, but... here's something that seems to be getting a lot of love on a firend's Facebook wall I figured I would share.  Enjoy?
https://vimeo.com/196357074
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2016, 07:28:59 PM
Taking my mom to it tomorrow. I NEED to watch that ending again. :blush:

I also got an offer for a third viewing, but that'd probably be too much. Will wait for the home release.

Oh my.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Also, this bugged me in my second viewing of Rogue One. How come none of the possibly hundreds of prisoners they take when they capture the rebel fleet gives up the location of the Yavin base? Since Tarkin is still looking for it in ANH.  :hmm:

Berkut

Presumably the location of the base is highly classified, and those prisoners would not need to know where it was....

They just, you know, fly away from some unknown to them planet....

Or maybe the moved it, perhaps regularly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The Rebel base is, indeed, moved with some frequency. 
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

In Rogue One the base is already in Yavin. And the fleet honchos are seen at Yavin during the "rebellions are built on hope!" scene. We, however, don't know where the rebel fleet itself is exactly stationed at, that is true.

The rebel ground forces are seen departing from Yavin, but those are conveniently exterminated by Tarkin using the Death Star.  :hmm:

Liep

Is a 2nd viewing worth it? I'm thinking yes and might go after Christmas but if disappointing I'll save it for later. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk