Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2017, 08:06:30 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 02, 2017, 07:27:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2016, 05:14:41 PM
I just had an offer to see this again. Like a sensible person, I said no thanks.

Thanks for the info!

I was also wondering what you had for breakfast. Please keep us updated.

Probably tea. he's gone native. sad really.

Ed keeps us up to date on his bowel movements, and garbon keeps us up to date on what movies he's currently not seeing.  Some people just have "their thing."  Best leave them to it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

My bowel movements are a cultural touchstone.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on January 02, 2017, 07:27:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2016, 05:14:41 PM
I just had an offer to see this again. Like a sensible person, I said no thanks.

Thanks for the info!

I was also wondering what you had for breakfast. Please keep us updated.

Oh, darling, I don't have time to bring you up to speed with the class. If you want to maintain good grades, you'll simply need to up your attendance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fromtia

I loved the movie. Thought it was easily the best one since ep.5, which has long been my favorite. Wonderful attention to detail in the production design, I was especially impressed that the tough looking rebel X and Y wing pilots all looked like they had come from a casting call in Los Angeles in 1979. Wonderful stuff.

Made Force Awakens look quite weak by comparison. Shows the difference between loving homage and clumsy pastiche too well.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

Yeah, besides the used old footage of Gold and Red Leaders, I thought the pilots and ground soldiers looked sufficiently gruff - it's something I noticed between old and modern movies: extras and bit parts were much less of a beauty pageant in the olden days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Saw it yesterday, loved it. I had read the spoiler-free review from the NYT previously and had low expectations , since they trashed it.

I don't what they're smoking, I loved it. I wonder what the reshoots were about, anybody know? Katmai?

I agree the characters were maybe a bit underdeveloped, but it's a 2 hour movie, we can't ask for too much. I think the Saw Guerera parts were necessary plot-wise. He's Galen's contact with the rebellion, he trusted his only child to him/ I thought themexican actor (captain Cassian?) killed it, loved K2-SO, the monk and his buddy was endearing, the pilot defector brave etc. Every death hit me hard, and I felt numb leaving the theater, what a bloodbath.

The rebels desperately trying to get the plans out to the corellian corvette while being mowed down by Vader... Jesus fucking Christ allmighty.

It also cast some stuff in the original trilogy in a new light. Like in the beginning of Episode 4 when Leia tells Vader she's on a diplomatic voyage while we literally just saw her escape the battle: understandably, Vader calls her out on being a rebel traitor, duh lol. Cgi was well done. Somebody that never saw the original trilogy might not have noticed.

Overall very strong.

My rankings:

5 - Empire
4 - New Hope
Rogue One
3 - Sith
7 - Force Awakens
6 - Jedi
2 - Clones
1 - Phantom menace

Barrister

Watched Jedi last night with the boys again.  Never understood the Jedi haters - it's a damn fine movie.  And certainly better than Revenge of the Sith.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2017, 06:00:33 PM
Watched Jedi last night with the boys again.  Never understood the Jedi haters - it's a damn fine movie.  And certainly better than Revenge of the Sith.

Wholeheartedly agree. Jedi gets a lot of crap for the Ewoks, and it's deserved, but it gets many more things right, imho. The final confrontation on the Death Star and the ensuing redemption of Darth Vader is the kind of emotional punch that Rogue One lacked to really bat it out of the park.

ROTS is embarrassing.

Zoupa

:mad:

I see star wars as the story of Darth Vader. His descent, his damnation and finally his redemption. As I said, I'm a total fanboy, comics, tabletop RPGs, video games, figurines etc, so that might colour my views, but I thought the becoming of Vader was interesting.

It's also why the clone wars tv show was badass for me, and why Episode 7 was just meh. No Vader = not much interest.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Jedi gets a lot of crap for the Ewoks, and it's deserved,

The ewoks are great.  :lol:

Though the best part of Jedi is on Tatooine.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2017, 07:26:53 PM
What is up with platonic relationships and Star Wars? First Rey weirdly friendzones Finn in The Force Awakens and then after there was this tension between Jyn and Cassian (congrats on being a new Star Wars hero with more than on syllable in your name btw) they hold hands and hug chastely while dying? What is this? It seems like a conscious choice I just don't understand why.

Though considering how having children usually goes for Star Wars characters maybe it is just a self-preserving instinct.
I like it.
Always annoys me how in films the lead man and lead woman always have to have something going on between them.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2017, 06:00:33 PM

Wholeheartedly agree. Jedi gets a lot of crap for the Ewoks, and it's deserved, but it gets many more things right, imho. The final confrontation on the Death Star and the ensuing redemption of Darth Vader is the kind of emotional punch that Rogue One lacked to really bat it out of the park.

ROTS is embarrassing.

I don't quite understand the Jedi hate, either.  I think ROTJ is better than ANH.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2017, 07:04:09 PM
I like it.
Always annoys me how in films the lead man and lead woman always have to have something going on between them.

There are hundreds of movies where this is not the case. Including every Star Wars film except two of the prequels :P

But it was weird in this case. They set it up like Finn had the hots for Rey and then clearly there was tension between Cassian and Jyn and in both cases they seemed to have intentionally had it go nowhere. I just do not understand what they are going for there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 03, 2017, 07:20:41 PM
I don't quite understand the Jedi hate, either.  I think ROTJ is better than ANH.

I get it. The culture was saturated with Star Wars hype and this film was CRAZILY hyped. It was cool to hate on it as a backlash. And it does have problems. Better than ANH? Well we will just agree to disagree there.

I don't get the love for ROTS. Now that film stinks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on January 03, 2017, 06:20:55 PM
:mad:

I see star wars as the story of Darth Vader. His descent, his damnation and finally his redemption. As I said, I'm a total fanboy, comics, tabletop RPGs, video games, figurines etc, so that might colour my views, but I thought the becoming of Vader was interesting.

It's also why the clone wars tv show was badass for me, and why Episode 7 was just meh. No Vader = not much interest.

Nerd.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive