What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2018, 11:01:58 PM

(I should note maybe "boyfriend" is too strong. Ford testified Thursday that she "went out with [Garrett] for a few months" but wasn't "dating" him. I leave the analysis of 1980s teen relationship labeling to others.)
[/quote]

As someone who was a teen in the early 80s, my interpretation would be that she had pretty much friend-zoned Garret--she wasn't romantically interested in him but kept him hanging around so she would have him available when she wanted a guy to take her to a concert or movie or to dinner but no one she was actually interested in had asked her.  Well, that's probably the uncharitable characterization.  A more charitable way of looking at it would be that they went out on dates sometimes, but it wasn't an exclusive relationship for either.

jimmy olsen

So, the White House is limiting the FBI to 4 interviews. Not on the list, Ford or Swetnick.

Flake will be rising to new heights of craven behavior if he accepts that as a good faith investigation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-kavanaugh-investigation-restrictions-julie-swatnick-2018-9
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

That article was poorly written but I think the upshot was they're starting with those four names and expanding as needed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 30, 2018, 08:10:20 PM
That article was poorly written but I think the upshot was they're starting with those four names and expanding as needed.

Nope

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

Also, LOL, Trump just picks the best people

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/kavanaughs-yale-classmate-brett-once-started-a-fight-that-ended-with-our-friend-in-jail

Another of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's former Yale University classmates is accusing him of propagating a "blatant mischaracterization" of his college drinking habits before the Senate Judiciary Committee, according to multiple reports.

Charles "Chad" Ludington, a North Carolina State University associate professor who used to interact with Kavanaugh while the two were at Yale, told the Washington Post and New York Times Sunday the judge had been untruthful when he told the panel last week he had never "blacked out" because he frequently saw Kavanaugh "staggering from alcohol consumption."

"When Brett got drunk, he was often belligerent and aggressive," Ludington said in a statement to the Washington Post. "On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man's face and starting a fight that ended with one of our mutual friends in jail."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Chad doesn't seem to know what blackout drunk means.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The story about Kavanaugh starting a fight and the other guy ending up in jail is also pretty hinky.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2018, 08:53:17 PM
The story about Kavanaugh starting a fight and the other guy ending up in jail is also pretty hinky.

Hinky? I would think that whether or not some one was arrested would be easy to check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/powerpost/administration-says-white-house-is-not-limiting-fbi-probe-of-kavanaugh-but-is-against-fishing-expedition/2018/09/30/aa7b796e-c4bb-11e8-b1ed-1d2d65b86d0c_story.html?__twitter_impression=true
QuoteCharles Ludington, a former varsity basketball player and friend of Kavanaugh's at Yale, told The Washington Post on Sunday that he plans to deliver a statement to the FBI field office in Raleigh on Monday detailing violent drunken behavior by Kavanaugh in college.

Ludington, an associate professor at North Carolina State University, provided a copy of the statement to The Post.

In it, Ludington says in one instance, Kavanaugh initiated a fight that led to the arrest of a mutual friend: "When Brett got drunk, he was often belligerent and aggressive. On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man's face and starting a fight that ended with one of our mutual friends in jail."

Ludington says he was deeply troubled by Kavanaugh appearing to blatantly mischaracterize his drinking in Senate testimony.

"I do not believe that the heavy drinking or even loutish behavior of an 18 or even 21 year old should condemn a person for the rest of his life," Ludington wrote. "However ... if he lied about his past actions on national television, and more especially while speaking under oath in front of the United States Senate, I believe those lies should have consequences."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

No Timmy.  Hinky as in: if Kavanaugh was the one being belligerent, why was Chad's bestie the one who spent the night in the can?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2018, 01:04:43 AM
No Timmy.  Hinky as in: if Kavanaugh was the one being belligerent, why was Chad's bestie the one who spent the night in the can?

Person X is having harsh words with person C. C's friend, person B, throws a drink in person X's face. Brawl ensues. Police arrive and pull C and B's friend person A off of person Y and arrest him.

Or a hundred permutations there of. One can compe up with a shit ton of scenarios where a person starts a fight but doesn't get arrested.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 01, 2018, 01:54:14 AM

Person X is having harsh words with person C. C's friend, person B, throws a drink in person X's face. Brawl ensues. Police arrive and pull C and B's friend person A off of person Y and arrest him.

Or a hundred permutations there of. One can compe up with a shit ton of scenarios where a person starts a fight but doesn't get arrested.

Yes. Yi's credentials for Keeping It Real have gone down.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2018, 05:40:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 01, 2018, 01:54:14 AM

Yes. Yi's credentials for Keeping It Real have gone down.

To paraphrase another admiral, Nelson, Yi "did not lose much cred, for God knows he had not much to lose - but he lost all he had."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I don't think that's fair to Yi.  I think he's off base here, IMO, but he's no derspiess.  These days it's very hard for people to stay balanced without becoming contrarians, because reality is so cartoonishly one-sided.

Syt

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409153-cotton-says-feinstein-will-be-investigated-over-leaked-ford-letter

QuoteCotton says Feinstein will be investigated over Ford letter

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) asserted on Sunday that Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) will face an investigation over her handling of a letter from Christine Blasey Ford in which she alleged Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her decades ago.

Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," Cotton disputed the legitimacy of Feinstein's claim that she did not disclose Ford's letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) because Ford had asked it remain private.

"They have betrayed her. They pointed her to lawyers who lied to her and did not tell her that the committee staff was willing to go to California to interview her. Now all of that is water under the bridge," Cotton said.

"Those lawyers are going to face a D.C. bar investigation into their misconduct," he continued. "Dianne Feinstein and her staff is going to face an investigation for why they leaked that.
"

Cotton did not elaborate on who would conduct such an investigation, but Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, has adamantly denied that her office leaked Ford's letter.

Feinstein's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Feinstein first received a letter from Ford detailing the allegations in July, but Ford had asked that it remain private.

Ford went public with her allegation earlier this month that Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed and groped her during a high school party in the 1980s after reports began to surface that Feinstein turned over a letter to the FBI that included a sexual assault allegation against Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh has denied the allegations.

Cotton took his attacks on Feinstein a step further on Sunday, arguing that if Kavanaugh is confirmed, any negative effects it has on the willingness among women to share their stories of sexual assault should be blamed on Feinstein and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).

"Any impact that this entire episode has had on women's willingness to come forward and report sexual assault, which I encourage them all to do immediately after it happens, is caused by the Democrats, is caused by Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer not respecting her requests for confidentiality," Cotton said.

Following Ford's allegation, Republicans have focused much of their criticism on Feinstein for not sharing the claim with them or with Kavanaugh earlier in the confirmation process.

At a rally Saturday night, President Trump stoked speculation that Feinstein or her staff may have leaked the letter, basing his claims on her body language.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

It's good to be the son of a Judge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017