What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2018, 05:48:47 PM
That was a crazy opening speech by a candidate for judicial office. He openly accused the Democrats on the committee of orchestrating a coordinated conspiracy against him. Brett - that kind of talk is what your Fox News surrogates are for.

This is still a judicial confirmation, he still needs to make the case he can serve as a fair arbiter of politically tinged disputes.  Today he undermined that case.

Conservative opinion seems to be of the exact opposite view.  National Reviews Rich Lowry had this to say on Kavanaugh's opening statement:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/brett-kavanaughs-opening-statement/

It was tremendous, a rhetorical tour de force. It was personal, detailed, persuasive, and moving. A lot of commentary is focusing on his anger — but if he's innocent, he has every right to be furious, indeed should be furious. I thought a major difficulty for him from the session earlier in the day is that Republicans didn't really raise questions about the credibility of Dr. Ford's account, leaving it to him to try to do it — a very delicate task. But he managed to buttress his credibility and question hers, without seeming nasty or dismissive. Indeed, one of the most moving moments was when he said that his daughter suggested praying for Ford. The opening helped him immensely. If nothing else, he held nothing back. Well done.

Razgovory

I really liked his snarling and partisan tirades.  Those are good traits to have in a neutral arbiter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2018, 12:07:08 AM
I really liked his snarling and partisan tirades.  Those are good traits to have in a neutral arbiter.

Yeah, his appointment would undermine the court immensely. Can't the Republicans just get some other random conservative judge?

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2018, 01:06:45 AM

Yeah, his appointment would undermine the court immensely. Can't the Republicans just get some other random conservative judge?

I don't think another sexual predator is what is needed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2018, 01:06:45 AM

As the Deadspin article I posted earlier said, getting a clean conservative is not the point. The Republican base, its id, more than anything else wants to win. Pushing Kavanaugh is a bigger win than anything else, because Ford is credible, not despite it, so that's what they want.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I like how the GOP hinted that if this is how the Dems play now, they would reciprocate on future Dem nominations.

Can someone get Judge Garland's opinion on this?

Also, Gorsuch was relatively easily waved through. So if this one is causing such intense pushback, maybe they should take the hint?

Hypothetically speaking: is there a way for Senate/Congress to get rid of judges once they're appointed? Not saying they should, as normalizing such moves would be a Pandora's Box you probably don't want opened, where the ruling party routinely gets rid of judges they consider unqualified.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2018, 01:25:17 AM
I like how the GOP hinted that if this is how the Dems play now, they would reciprocate on future Dem nominations.

Can someone get Judge Garland's opinion on this?

Also, Gorsuch was relatively easily waved through. So if this one is causing such intense pushback, maybe they should take the hint?

Hypothetically speaking: is there a way for Senate/Congress to get rid of judges once they're appointed? Not saying they should, as normalizing such moves would be a Pandora's Box you probably don't want opened, where the ruling party routinely gets rid of judges they consider unqualified.

Theoretically he could be impeached, but convinction needs 67 votes.

If the GOP gets crushed in the midterms, the Dems might go for it even knowing it will fail just to make purple state Senators vote on it again to use against them in 2020.

Alternately, he could eventually be charged if more evidence comes out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

You guys should move away from lifetime appointments for the SC. I know it's meant to make them independent from government, but it's actually the opposite. Makes the stakes of pushing through a partisan hack too high to ignore.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2018, 01:25:17 AM

I belive it was Senator Harris who raised this (well one of the final Dems) but Kavanaugh dodged it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2018, 01:28:56 AM
You guys should move away from lifetime appointments for the SC. I know it's meant to make them independent from government, but it's actually the opposite. Makes the stakes of pushing through a partisan hack too high to ignore.

Every system has upsides and downsides.  I don't know how many times the Yuros have talked about the value of judicial independence.  Independence is the antithesis of accountability.

Syt

You could change the rules so that each candidate requires a 2/3 majority to ensure bipartisan backing, but with the current state of US government there would be no new SC justices again, ever. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Well shit yeah.  Democracy is rules for deciding what to do when you disagree.

Tamas

Didn't he say something like what goes around comes around?

Also can you get any cheaper and more insincere than sobbing and telling how your little sweet daughter told you to pray for your accuser.

Nauseating. I don't know if he wa the one tryring to rape this woman, I don't think he is any more certain than I am, but he came across as a major douche and a horrible character