News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The grooming aspect is a problem for the Court.  Except for Sotomayor and Ginsburg, all the justices have very similar background and there is a real groupthink problem.  Only Sotomayor ever really practiced commercial law for real and not for very long, she is also the only one other than Alito to have been a serving prosecutor. No sitting justice ever represented a defendant in a criminal case.  They pretty much all fit the same mold - government lawyers with elite credentials tracked for the judiciary.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2018, 11:23:00 AMSorry, it's just funny to think they are still a factor in, anything. :P

:P

It's somewhat relevant as Georgetown Prep where Kavanaugh went to school is run by the Jesuits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown_Preparatory_School
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The Jansenists have come out for Kavanaugh.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2018, 11:52:52 AM
The Jansenists have come out for Kavanaugh.

They probably wouldn't, even taking into account their hatred for the Jesuits.
Que le grand cric me croque !

OttoVonBismarck

I have a lawyer friend who is frequently in U.S. District courts and he actually says he wishes there were more former district judges on the bench. In his words a district court is "where the real action is" and "some personal familiarity with being a trial judge would give them a more robust view of the law than they get from serving usually as high level government lawyers or law school professors then going straight to circuit appeals courts and then the Supreme Court." It looks like Sotomayor is the only one who was ever an actual trial judge; so it may just be that district court judgeships have never been a springboard to the SCOTUS, but I agree that all the justices having very similar legal backgrounds in what is a very wide field to operate in isn't ideal.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I really don't get the "investigate for 1 week thing".

Either these allegations are important, in which the FBI should have as much time as then need, or they aren't, and you don't need an investigation. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2018, 04:39:29 PM

Either these allegations are important, in which the FBI should have as much time as then need, or they aren't, and you don't need an investigation.

"see, we made sure he was innocent before we appointed him to reign over the country's laws 'till the day he dies"

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/28/brett-kavanaugh-testimony-nominee-supreme-court

Quote[A primal scream is heard] Thank you. Thank you for that Senator Graham... Also, thank you for making sure I wasn't even the worst guy at my own sexual assault hearing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2018, 04:39:29 PM

Murkowski is a no vote because of the ruling about native Americans so the GOP needs every othet vote they have.

Collins or some other swing vote must have demanded an investigation and this is them trying to thread the needle.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point