Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

I don't think it is a problem for Britain per se celedhring; I'm saying that the integration is creating tension between members of the Eurozone and that the Euro may be a case of more haste less speed.

Well, it is done now, for good or ill.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 06:36:13 AM
I don't think it is a problem for Britain per se celedhring; I'm saying that the integration is creating tension between members of the Eurozone and that the Euro may be a case of more haste less speed.

Well, it is done now, for good or ill.

I think that's understood and an accepted lesson now, after all the problems we've had in recent years. We are still paying the price down here of having to resort to internal devaluation to get out of the hole, and I'm not completely confident Spain won't be having a huge social crisis if we have another recession in the near future.

Most new integration projects seem more in the direction of a two-speed Europe (i.e. joining them is just for the willing and able), an idea that was much maligned in the past. I think hugely ambitious and somewhat force-fed projects like the euro or the failed European Constitution are for now things of the past.

Tamas

The Daily Mail is nowadays a Theresa May PR machine:

My favourite is the bottom text bit: staying would be a humiliation! Sure, it would be BETTER but we would look like fools.

Well, newsflash: Britain already looks foolish. Only open debate is now on the extent.

My issue with May's deal is the part where the EU gets to decide when we leave the transitional period (the backstop). That means Britain will bend down for the soap and all 27 states will have a go.

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 06:27:31 AM
Now you have a load of countries in the Eurozone who have lost control of their monetary policy. Given that the Germans and Dutch etc have no intention of transferring money to places like Italy those countries have to stagnate or evolve into pseudo-Germans.
:huh:
Dutch and Germans are net contributors, both in the top three (per capita) with Sweden. Italy is a net contributor too, btw.

Syt

That img doesn't work. Tamas.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The issue was the euro and sovereign debt, not the EU budget. Spain is close to become a net contributor too (we are at something like +0,1% GNP).

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2018, 06:56:28 AM
The issue was the euro and sovereign debt, not the EU budget. Spain is close to become a net contributor too (we are at something like +0,1% GNP).

Right, misread that.

In that case, yeah, let the Belgians rot.  :P

celedhring

The issue here is that the whole monetary policy was a half-job. We only did the cool-sounding part, "hey, let's all get the same currency!", and let the politically harder one (hum, we probably need a common debt market, and some fiscal policy controls) slide until shit hit our faces (and we only have stopgaps in place right now).

Tamas

Heh, something I was not aware of:

Maybe the record-high employment levels in the UK are not as impressive as they seem. You only need to work 1 hour per week to be classified as "employed":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46264291

Richard Hakluyt

International shagging is the way forward; in the long run we will end up with Europeans rather than Germans and Frenchmen  :cool:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 08:24:56 AM
International shagging is the way forward; in the long run we will end up with Europeans rather than Germans and Frenchmen  :cool:

That seems to be well going on in these parts of England.  :D At least in the nerdy circles. Although much wider in scope than EU states.

Not counting me and my Polish wife, I know the following combos, most of them are spouses:

2 counts of English-Chinese
1 count of English-Finnish
1 count of Hungarian-Chinese
1 count of Hungarian-Burmese
1 count of Dutch-Peruvian
1 count of Polish-Indian
1 count of German-Brazilian

These are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. :)

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 08:34:04 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 08:24:56 AM

That seems to be well going on in these parts of England.  :D At least in the nerdy circles. Although much wider in scope than EU states.

Not counting me and my Polish wife, I know the following combos, most of them are spouses:

2 counts of English-Chinese
1 count of English-Finnish
1 count of Hungarian-Chinese
1 count of Hungarian-Burmese
1 count of Dutch-Peruvian
1 count of Polish-Indian
1 count of German-Brazilian

These are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. :)

:hmm:

Thinking about married couples from my divison:

French-English
English-English
English-English
Romanian-English
Russian-English
Australian-Kiwi
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

So with Stalin.. sorry I mean McDowell supporting the idea of a second referendum making it much more likely, how is that not going to result in a no-deal exit?

If there's a 3-way vote (stay, May's deal, no deal) sane people's vote will divide between staying and May's thing.

If there's a two way choice (May's deal or no deal) that's going to be a no-deal landslide.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 10:53:27 AM
So with Stalin.. sorry I mean McDowell supporting the idea of a second referendum making it much more likely, how is that not going to result in a no-deal exit?

If there's a 3-way vote (stay, May's deal, no deal) sane people's vote will divide between staying and May's thing.

If there's a two way choice (May's deal or no deal) that's going to be a no-deal landslide.

McDonnell has apparently had a change of heart since almost two months ago to the day in September.

Then he said a referendum should be "no deal" or "deal" as the choices.

Now he says it should be "deal" or "remain" as the choices.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on November 28, 2018, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 10:53:27 AM

McDonnell has apparently had a change of heart since almost two months ago to the day in September.

Then he said a referendum should be "no deal" or "deal" as the choices.

Now he says it should be "deal" or "remain" as the choices.

Blimey.