Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on November 02, 2016, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 01:00:33 PM
I got business class from Heathrow to Boston yesterday & then got an early flight from Boston to CVG.  Got home early enough to change clothes and go coach football practice :punk:

How was the trip? Any decent beers?

Absolutely, thanks to your tip re: Bermondsey.  We hit Brew by Numbers, UBREW, Southwark Brewing Company, Anspach & Hobday, and The Bottle Shop. 

Brew by Numbers was particularly excellent.  Huge line to get a beer, but that's often an affirmation of how good the beer is.  My brother and a guy named Jake who works for him on game days joined us.  Jake was a big hit with the local crowd.  He's a big burly muscular guy and everyone took a shine to him once they heard we called him Harambe.

And then there were the random stops at pubs.  Going by Untappd I think I tried at least 30 new beers :cheers:

All in all, a great trip.  Most of the time I had an old couple with me, very well-traveled but still oddly a bit provincial.  The guy in particular really stood out as an American.  But the locals could not have been nicer.  Helped remind me how close the Anglo-American friendship is despite our differences :hug:  :bowler:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

Government loses Article 50 court fight

QuoteParliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the European Union, the High Court has ruled.

This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal discussions with the EU - on their own.

Theresa May says the referendum - and existing ministerial powers - mean MPs do not need to vote, but campaigners called this unconstitutional.
The government is expected to appeal.

Ministers were given the go-ahead for a further hearing to take place at the Supreme Court, which is expected to take place before the end of the year.

The prime minister has said she will activate Article 50, formally notifying the EU of the UK's intention to leave, by the end of next March. This follows the UK's decision to back Brexit in June's referendum by a margin of 51.9% to 48.1%.

The EU's other 27 members have said negotiations about the terms of the UK's exit - due to last two years - cannot begin until Article 50 has been invoked.

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith said, if the court's decision is not overturned, there could be "months and months" of parliamentary hurdles ahead.

But he added that most MPs would be likely to vote for Article 50, as Brexit was backed by a majority of voters in the referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

Richard Hakluyt

The High Court has ruled that Parliament must have a vote in order for article 50 to be invoked :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

Interesting.

About 80% of MPs are remainers...............what will happen next  :hmm: ?

Richard Hakluyt

Oi........Brazen, you are supposed to be working not beating me to the draw over brexit gossip  :lol:

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 03, 2016, 05:25:32 AM
Oi........Brazen, you are supposed to be working not beating me to the draw over brexit gossip  :lol:
:lol: This social media management business means I just sit here and news appears :P

celedhring

Would parliament go against a referendum result though?  I can't see that happening, but I guess brits know best.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2016, 05:33:12 AM
Would parliament go against a referendum result though?  I can't see that happening, but I guess brits know best.

They should, because part of their job is to be better informed on critical issues like this than the citizens they represent. But they will be too craven to do it.

garbon

Yeah seems like it would politically be hard sell.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Hard to say. Hard to vote for what many regard as a stupid option. Perhaps there will be mass abstentions.

For the time being it will no doubt be passed on to the supreme court.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 03, 2016, 05:57:27 AM

For the time being it will no doubt be passed on to the supreme court.

That is going to look very ugly though. You basically push the opinion that government should not be accountable to Parliament.

Richard Hakluyt

I suspect that the supreme court will also rule that there should be a parliamentary discussion and vote.

Josquius

I'm doing my happy dance .
Writing to my MP tonight to explain  the leave voters in the constituency didn't know what they were doing and the young folk are counting on him.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: Gups on November 02, 2016, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 01:00:33 PM
I got business class from Heathrow to Boston yesterday & then got an early flight from Boston to CVG.  Got home early enough to change clothes and go coach football practice :punk:

How was the trip? Any decent beers?

Absolutely, thanks to your tip re: Bermondsey.  We hit Brew by Numbers, UBREW, Southwark Brewing Company, Anspach & Hobday, and The Bottle Shop. 

Brew by Numbers was particularly excellent.  Huge line to get a beer, but that's often an affirmation of how good the beer is.  My brother and a guy named Jake who works for him on game days joined us.  Jake was a big hit with the local crowd.  He's a big burly muscular guy and everyone took a shine to him once they heard we called him Harambe.

And then there were the random stops at pubs.  Going by Untappd I think I tried at least 30 new beers :cheers:

All in all, a great trip.  Most of the time I had an old couple with me, very well-traveled but still oddly a bit provincial.  The guy in particular really stood out as an American.  But the locals could not have been nicer.  Helped remind me how close the Anglo-American friendship is despite our differences :hug:  :bowler:

Excellent and glad you enjoyed Bermondsey. Brew by Numbers is one of my favourite local breweries too.

Gups

Hard to see how Parl could not vite in favour of triggering article 50 when the EU has said that there can't be any negotiations until it has been triggered.

It might be a different story if Parliament got to vote on the terms following negotiation, that would give political cover - i.e. not the terms promised by the Leave campaign on which electorate voted.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on November 03, 2016, 07:31:52 AM
Hard to see how Parl could not vite in favour of triggering article 50 when the EU has said that there can't be any negotiations until it has been triggered.

It might be a different story if Parliament got to vote on the terms following negotiation, that would give political cover - i.e. not the terms promised by the Leave campaign on which electorate voted.

Would be nice but AFAIK once Article 50 is triggered, that's it - if the UK won't sign an agreement on the divorce when the two years expire, they are just booted out completely.