Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

so, far-right protesters are fighting the police to protect the Churchill statute from BLM protesters who didn't show up. As a Tweet well put it:

QuoteI don't understand.

-  Police are protecting a statue from people who want to protect it from people who don't seem to be there.
- Meanwhile the man who stopped us all from having to salute like a Nazi is celebrated by men doing Nazi salutes.

I mean, it's very 2020, but still.

Josquius

:lol:
Sounds about right.
Thats the trouble with doing so much recruitment from football hooligan circles and telling them antifa are some big united violent group.
They expect things to work like football hooliganism with properly organised rucks with the other team's firm.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

And there was a clip of a big row between two of these over whether it's "all lives matter" or "white lives matter".

My favourite moment was when the ALM guy shouted "you're a fucking racist!" :lol:

Would love if someone did an actual study of the cross-over between football hooligan leadership and the far-right.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

They're now chanting "we're racist and that's the way we like it."

Police charge now pls.

Edit: And the anti-vaxxers/5G conspiracists have arrived. Because, of course.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

"Uh-huh uh-huh"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Awesome.
Have to say I love it when Nazis show their true colours rather than dancing around and going "Nu-huh! You're the nazis you racist! Its not racist to think muslims should be killed as muslim isn't a race!"

QuoteWould love if someone did an actual study of the cross-over between football hooligan leadership and the far-right.
I'm sure its out there. There was that whole Football Lads Alliance group et al.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Telegraph reporter saw one of them taking a bump of coke and then offering it to his mate - which is very Football Lads Alliance culture.

They are also, apparently, targeting people having picnics - I don't know why:
https://twitter.com/evanfanning/status/1271837543395397632?s=20

Edit: Oh and this appears the defining image of these "protests":

PC Keith Palmer was the constable who was killed during the Westminster attack.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Police charge now pls.

Edit: And the anti-vaxxers/5G conspiracists have arrived. Because, of course.

That makes the local Identitaires (right-wing Identity Politics) look really good.  :P
Complete with Justice for the Victims of anti-white racism and
#Whitelivesmatter
Predictable...

Counter-demo to the "Justice for Adama" demonstration, which got a boost following the death of George Floyd.
French link is more complete and much more damning than the English one.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_Adama_Traoré#Interpellation_et_mort
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Adama_Traoré

Syt

The Austrian chapter of the Identitarians tried to pull that during a BLM demo at the US embassy. The police (surprisingly) intervened quickly and removed them before things could escalate..
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

That "Justice for Adama" demonstration today aggregated many sensibilities including left-wing antisemites. Kind of embarrassing when demonstrating against the alleged racism of French police.  :hmm:

The anti-jewish insults (Sales Juifs/Dirty Jews) started precisely when the Identitarians (right-wing) put the #whitelivesmatter on the roof of the building.

https://t.co/3aSaQfmvjK
The Police reported the insults which may open the way for legal proceedings.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/15/long-queues-on-high-streets-as-non-essential-shops-reopen-in-england

QuoteLong queues of shoppers formed outside stores around England on the first day that non-essential shops were allowed to reopen for business since the coronavirus lockdown was imposed.

Branches of Primark and Sports Direct were among those attracting large numbers of customers before they opened.

In Liverpool, the queue for Primark stretched around the shop and along a street behind, before the retailer opened its doors at 7.20am.

Mia Melia, 20, told PA Media that she had arrived just after 8am. "I needed pyjamas and all sorts really," she said.

"I have done some shopping online during lockdown but when things arrive they don't always fit. It did feel a bit weird in there because it has been months since anyone has been in."

Shoppers heading for the high street will have to get used to new rules before and after they enter stores.

The queues were partly explained by retailers placing restrictions on the number of people who can be inside at any one time. Stock has been spread out to allow physical distancing and some items can no longer be handled by browsers.

John Lewis, which on Monday opened only two stores, is using disposable covers for customers who want to test furniture and asking people to wear disposable socks before they try on shoes.

Apple, which opened stores in London and Northern Ireland, is taking customers' temperatures and supplying them with face masks before they enter.

In Sunderland, the Northern Echo reported a mile-long queue outside Sports Direct and there were similar scenes at some of the retailer's other branches.

Sports Direct, run by Mike Ashley, was encouraging shoppers to visit with the offer of a 50% discount for NHS workers.

A queue of people also waited outside Nike Town on Oxford Street in London, two hours before the store's opening at 11am.

Ricky Young, who was there to buy trainers, said it felt like a return to some kind of normality. He said he had not expected it to be busy when he arrived.

"I actually thought people might have been sleeping or didn't want to go out," he said. "But the doors are open again, it's back to almost normal, back to business – but we just have to line up."

The government has urged people to get out and spend money to prop up an economy damaged by three months of lockdown.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

:blink: I do not get it. From Twitter it looks like the same happened in Germany and the Netherlands when they re-opened shops (again at, say, the Primrk on Alexanderplatz). I suppose I just don't understand how much people love Primark.

Although I wonder how much is just optics because of social distancing/number requirements in store. So I know my local Co-op always has a huge queue outside but they only allow about 10-15 people in store at any time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2020, 01:20:58 PM
Edit: Oh and this appears the defining image of these "protests":

PC Keith Palmer was the constable who was killed during the Westminster attack.
A few years ago, the EDL planned a march in Liverppol. Because Liverpool is very left-wing, most of them had to travel into town to do the march. And, again, because Liverpool is very left-wing there was a large counter-protest in the train station. It soon became clear there was no way the march could go ahead, so they ended up being kettled in the lost luggage area behind a police line while the rest of the train station chanted "master race, you're having a laugh!" at them.

I'm reminded of that chant today when this guy was in court - sentenced to 14 days in jail (which I'm not sure I agree with). But he had a chance to tell his story:
QuoteFootball fan Andrew Banks jailed for 14 days for urinating by the memorial to murdered PC Keith Palmer.

Banks said he didn't know what the memorial was for, he had drunk 16 pints on an all-night bender before protests & had attended to "defend statues" but wasn't sure which ones
:lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It is awesome how Liverpool has managed to keep the fascists out while they've broke through in other traditionally left wing cities. I do wonder to what extent keeping the sun out helps.
██████
██████
██████