Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

MadImmortalMan

They're gonna have to explain it somehow.

When Mark Hamill read the script and saw her doing all that stuff his first reaction was "Hey, she hasn't even been to Dagobah yet!".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Or tge really far out one is she's leia's and Hans other kid.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 24, 2017, 12:55:44 PM
Or tge really far out one is she's leia's and Hans other kid.

One would think that Leia and Han would recognize her when they meet her though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

I think/hope she was just a very talented jedi-trainee kid who got evacuated to that desert planet by Luke when it all went tits up with his New Jedis Program.

Admiral Yi

Being abandoned on Planet Salvage Yard does tie in with Luke going full hermit.  Though they will definitely need a scene in which he says he's really, really sorry for being such a shitbox.

The Minsky Moment

As celibates go the freakin Jedi seem to have an unusual number of offspring.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2017, 12:13:43 PM
How could she not be?
Because Luke would not abandon his own kid on a desert planet if he knew about her?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on January 24, 2017, 12:14:23 PM
Nobody cares about what happens in a children's cartoon show. :P
They're more mature than Episode I and most of II. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2017, 12:48:43 PMBut for Rey to be Luke's long-lost cousin on his mother's side seems like it would be verging on self-parody.

Mel Brooks did it better.  :lol:

Caliga

I still like the fan theory that Luke fell to the Dark Side in Episode VI.  It would be super awesome if they adopt that for the next one (though I'm sure they won't).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

Quote from: Caliga on January 24, 2017, 01:25:54 PM
I still like the fan theory that Luke fell to the Dark Side in Episode VI.  It would be super awesome if they adopt that for the next one (though I'm sure they won't).

That would be awesome.  I'm sure Mark Hamill would be up for it.

Caliga

I recently watched Jedi again, and that seems very plausible to me.  I mean, the dude is dressed in all black like a Sith, he's got a mechanical hand, and he wails on Vader like a motherfucker, all enraged-like.... and it makes Palpatine hard.

Zanza

Rey could be the daughter of the Emperor. She's like 20ish and it's been roughly that much time between ROTJ and TFA. It would also allow some explanation why she was left on that junkyard planet and explain her force aptitude.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on January 24, 2017, 01:35:37 PM
Rey could be the daughter of the Emperor. She's like 20ish and it's been roughly that much time between ROTJ and TFA. It would also allow some explanation why she was left on that junkyard planet and explain her force aptitude.
Well like I said, it made Palpatine hard. :perv: