News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I recall seeing a German 90s (or early 00s?) documentary about pensioners spending Christmas/New Year's in Brighton. It was ... interesting. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

The UK is a joke of a country and privatisation is dumb #4681

Quote.

A government white paper published last week painted a picture of a railway system hobbled by the byzantine structures created since privatisation.

The system now has almost 400 full-time staff called "train delay attributers" whose job it is to argue with each other about assigning blame for a delay. Nearly half of delays are subject to this blame game, meaning they have to go through an extensive adjudication process involving a 199-page principles and rules document.

The most bizarre dispute of recent years involved a debate about who was to blame for a train hitting a peacock. If it was defined as a small bird, then the company driving the train was responsible: if it was categorised as a large bird, then the blame went to the operator of the tracks. The two sides ended up haggling over whether peacocks were bigger than geese. (The answer: a peacock is a "large bird".)

https://www.ft.com/content/05fef011-f693-46a2-bfcd-fbdfffe4368d
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Thanks for the British beach suggestions! I'll take Brighton I guess.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2021, 10:43:34 AM
Question for the brits on the board: if you lived in London (guess Tyr doesn't count), where would you look for a weekend beach escapade? Ideally something that's not a big drive from the city.

(it's for something I'm writing).
Brighton is the obvious choice - it's one of the gay capitals of the UK, a bit boho and quite expensive.

Kent and Essex coast a bit more working class - but Kent especially being gentrified/hipsterfied: Margate (Tracy Emin and Turner Contemporary Art Gallery), Broadstairs, Whitstable (Oyster festival :mmm:), Southend. All still have a weird combo of legit cockneys/ London-South-East working class and yuppies. Dystopian and arty is Dungeness - bleak, nature reserve, power plant on the horizon, Derek Jarman's cottage and garden, great crab :mmm:

Or maybe Poole/Bournemouth which is only a couple of hours away. Big university towns (and I believe pre-Brexit the location of the most Erasmus students in the UK :hmm:), but also lots of elderly people in retirement homest.

Or a couple of hours the other way heading to the East and you get Aldeburgh - opera festival, home of Benjamin Britten. Very arty and expensive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Maybe one for Grumbler - but what is happening here? From the Twitter of the UK carrier crossing the equator:
QuoteHMS Queen Elizabeth Flag of United Kingdom
@HMSQNLZ
We 'crossed the line'!

In true Naval tradition, nearly 1000 sailors were welcomed into Neptune's Kingdom 

This was the first time the ceremony has taken place onboard HMS QNLZ

HMS QNLZ has now operated in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres

#CSG21

Lots of people in reply posting their family pictures of this ceremoney from, say, HMS Southampton in 1986:

Or HMS Britannia in 1956:

What is this? :blink: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I remember from doing research for a script that it's some kind of rite of passage ceremony for people crossing the equator line for the first time. Grumbler will surely know more.

Josquius

Yeah, old navy tradition.
I wonder if it counts if you've previously Eg flown to South Africa.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In German it's called Äquatortaufe (equator baptism) IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

We had a thread on this once!  Way, way back to before 2009.  A congressman got a little too grabby with congressional pages.  For some reason the congressman invoked the line-crossing ceremony and said something about asking an sailor about it.  So I created a thread where I asked Grumbler about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I've crossed the equator twice. In aircraft. I was asleep both times and didn't feel the flip.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Yes, it's a "Crossing the line" ceremony for those sailing across the equator for the first time (Slimy Pollywogs) to enter Neptune's realm as Trusty Shellbacks.

It will involve some silly "ordeals" and then the Pollywog will be invited to kiss King's Neptune's belly button (almost certainly covered with something disgusting-tasting) and be transformed into a Shellback.

There's something similar for crossing the Arctic Circle and becoming a Bluenose.  None for crossing the International Date Line and becoming a Denizen of the Domain of the Golden Dragon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I didn't have to kiss anything, but I did have to drink a foul concoction when I first crossed the equator on a sailboat.  I did receive a nice hand drawn certificate.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2021, 09:35:20 AM
Yes, it's a "Crossing the line" ceremony for those sailing across the equator for the first time (Slimy Pollywogs) to enter Neptune's realm as Trusty Shellbacks.

It will involve some silly "ordeals" and then the Pollywog will be invited to kiss King's Neptune's belly button (almost certainly covered with something disgusting-tasting) and be transformed into a Shellback.

There's something similar for crossing the Arctic Circle and becoming a Bluenose.  None for crossing the International Date Line and becoming a Denizen of the Domain of the Golden Dragon.
My dad was in the US Navy during Vietnam and crossed both the Equator and Arctic Circle.  Both times there were weird ceremonies, yeah, but I forget the details.  I'll ask him to remind me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I've crossed both the equator and arctic circle and didn't get nothing to mark the occasion. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2021, 03:08:56 PM
I've crossed both the equator and arctic circle and didn't get nothing to mark the occasion. :(
I've crossed neither.  Me = loser  :blush:

My dad once showed me the Shellback certificate he got.  It was pretty neat. :)

He was on the USS Nantahala, which was a fleet oiler.  When he crossed the Arctic Circle they were in some NATO exercise shadowing the Soviet Navy and went right into the Barents Sea.  Not a place I'd want to be if the Cold War suddenly turned hot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points