News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Margrethe II of Denmark is probably my favorite monarch. Here she's congratulating a guy who's been parodying her on stage for 40 years:

Also:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Except that's Gary Oldman in Dracula.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Love this from a 1955 Communist propaganda book - even the propaganda writers struggled to find anything positive to say about Gheorghiu-Dej :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I made a small survey of dog's names in my parents' neighborhood.

Wanda (ours)
Ewok
Yoda
Duna
Arya
Mel
Lola
Daenerys (Danny)
Thanos
Francisco (after the Pope :D)
Drogo
Grogu
Jordi (George in Catalan)

All the waves of geek culture can be read in the trends of pet naming.  :D

Eddie Teach

I have a cat named Gizmo after the character from Gremlins.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Frodo's dad has an important place in geek culture.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2021, 04:13:53 AM
Frodo's dad has an important place in geek culture.

:yes: The only Khal to die in a boating accident.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Question for the brits on the board: if you lived in London (guess Tyr doesn't count), where would you look for a weekend beach escapade? Ideally something that's not a big drive from the city.

(it's for something I'm writing).

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2021, 10:43:34 AM
Question for the brits on the board: if you lived in London (guess Tyr doesn't count), where would you look for a weekend beach escapade? Ideally something that's not a big drive from the city.

(it's for something I'm writing).

As an American in London I've done:
Brighton & Hove (with Hove being nicer)
Southend (although that was day trip and a bit trash)
Margate (I also did as a day trip and a bit trash)
Frinton/Holland/Clacton-on-Sea
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Going to Brighton for the weekend is a cultural cliche non?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

The obvious one is Brighton and the obvious way to get there is by train. Southend is a possibility if your characters are downmarket; but Brighton would cover people of almost any type. Brighton was also famous for being a "dirty weekend" destination; a place to take another person's wife....that sort of thing, probably anachronistic by now.