News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2021, 11:57:42 AM
Did Sweden ever have a king whose native language was Finnish?

No. According to the anecdote of course he used Finnish as a way to say "Sweden is France's equal, have a taste of a language of Sweden". It may have been the same king who was in a hate mail correspondence with Ivan the Terrible where they were essentially rage-shouting at each other.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.
-- Charles V

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on October 07, 2021, 11:59:19 AMNot in Europe though. I'm not even sure Spanish is more widely spoken than Italian.
Yeah - although if "international status" is a criteria Spanish is biggie.

What I really love is that the working languages of the EU are English, French and German - but he wants to use Brexit as an excuse to move solely to French :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2021, 11:59:33 AM
It wouldn't be abnormal for a French king to write in French.  That the Swedish king answered in Finnish is probably a myth.

Diplomatic correspondance in that time would be in Latin, if that's the same Swedish king who got into a terrible written shouting contest with Ivan the Terrible.

Threviel

IIRC Charles XII was the only one who spoke even a little Finnish.

Syt

The difference between Irish and Germans offering/accepting a slice of cake: https://twitter.com/killersundymann/status/1446131283969589250?s=20

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

:hmm:

In my experience, Americans are most likely to offer like the Irish and accept like the Germans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

So funny seeing a game ad that offers "non-stop hardcore farming".  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2021, 03:01:24 AM
The difference between Irish and Germans offering/accepting a slice of cake: https://twitter.com/killersundymann/status/1446131283969589250?s=20

:lol:
Pretty sure I've definitely had this as the Irishman being offered something.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

When I entered the Soviet Union we didn't really get a lot of questions. But of course they didn't know a lot of English back then.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

They got the mugshot book out when I was going through customs. The old school type with actual photos taped to the pages.
Pretty cool, if a little unsettling at the time.