News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2021, 04:38:23 PM
So some (minor) French politicians have proposed a resolution for French to become "the only" working language of the EU. And their statement is everyhthing you could hope for. Brexit is a "unique opportunity" to reverse the encroachment of English and "Anglo-Saxon culture" as English is now only the mother tongue of 1% of the EU's population.

I particularly enjoyed their thoughts on why not German: "it may be objected that German is today in the European Union the language with the largest number of mother tongue speakers. To put forward such an argument would be to forget, however, that German does not have the same international status as French." :lol:

I alost wish they'd worked through the entire union explaining their objections to each language.

:lol:
"As to the Dutch. Mais non. That's just a German with a throat infection is it not?
Spanish? Much too American.
Polish? What are we peasants?"
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Google has 559 million Spanish speakers worldwide, with 270 million French speakers (and 130 million German speakers). Seems to me Spanish has a higher global standing than French....

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 03, 2021, 02:25:35 AM
It is very hard to find good wine from the USA in the UK; but I know from direct experience that the USA produces some good wines. The American market is large though, so my working hypothesis is that they drink all the good stuff and only export a small fraction of it.

There is plenty of good wine made in the US; the problem is value for the money. The "Cult Cabs" and similar wines command stratospheric prices and get grabbed up by US tech millionaires and fund guys.  There are more reasonable priced wines - Chateau St Michelle (Washington State) is an example of a mass market producer that provides decent value, but the focus is on traditional European varietals like Cab, Riesling, Chard, and after export and shipping costs are added in, it is hard to compete overseas with the European originals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

It is funny you don't hear the Spanish ever making a peep about this.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2021, 03:11:18 AM
Btw, Down the Rabbit Hole had a good video about the 1980s wine poisoning scandal in Austria (which has, in turn, led to an overhaul of wine production in Austria and improving quality considerably): https://youtu.be/qhN-o2ame-4

Antifreeze, I remember that one.
Austria has had a good 21st century, oenologically speaking.  And one of the areas that could stand to benefit relatively from warming.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2021, 05:12:15 PM
It is funny you don't hear the Spanish ever making a peep about this.

The position of Spanish in Europe is not that strong, it is at the international level where it is used as official language for international bodies.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The lava delta created by the La Palma eruption has already reached 100 acres in size. There was a 4.3 earthquake today in the island, the highest since the eruption began. Still no estimation when it will end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2021, 04:50:52 PM
I seem to recall an anecdote of a 16th century Swedish king who got a letter in French from the king of France, and sent his answer in Finnish.
I believe all Kings of the time wrote in their native language to one another.  It's not like the King would read himself what was on the letter anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 07, 2021, 09:36:58 AM
The lava delta created by the La Palma eruption has already reached 100 acres in size. There was a 4.3 earthquake today in the island, the highest since the eruption began. Still no estimation when it will end.

while I know it's real, this picture looks like a bad photoshop operation.  That's very weird to look at.  It's like the lava was painted on top of another picture.

I'm not used at all to volcanic eruptions.  It's probably how it looks like from above.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Did Sweden ever have a king whose native language was Finnish?

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2021, 04:38:23 PM
So some (minor) French politicians have proposed a resolution for French to become "the only" working language of the EU. And their statement is everyhthing you could hope for. Brexit is a "unique opportunity" to reverse the encroachment of English and "Anglo-Saxon culture" as English is now only the mother tongue of 1% of the EU's population.

I particularly enjoyed their thoughts on why not German: "it may be objected that German is today in the European Union the language with the largest number of mother tongue speakers. To put forward such an argument would be to forget, however, that German does not have the same international status as French." :lol:

I alost wish they'd worked through the entire union explaining their objections to each language.

I think I like that guy! :P

Maladict

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2021, 05:09:20 PM
Google has 559 million Spanish speakers worldwide, with 270 million French speakers (and 130 million German speakers). Seems to me Spanish has a higher global standing than French....

Not in Europe though. I'm not even sure Spanish is more widely spoken than Italian.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2021, 11:57:42 AM
Did Sweden ever have a king whose native language was Finnish?
It wouldn't be abnormal for a French king to write in French.  That the Swedish king answered in Finnish is probably a myth.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2021, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 07, 2021, 09:36:58 AM

while I know it's real, this picture looks like a bad photoshop operation.  That's very weird to look at.  It's like the lava was painted on top of another picture.

I'm not used at all to volcanic eruptions.  It's probably how it looks like from above.

I think some parts are indeed composited. I took it from a local magazine.

Anyhow, this is Spain's first territorial expansion since we swindled Olivenza off the Portuguese. The Empire is back babyyyyyyyyy.  :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-_EZgRb0w&ab_channel=LuisdelaCruz