Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2021, 02:41:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2021, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 01, 2021, 12:26:21 PM
You guys make powdered milk. It gets imported and added to local production.

they export milk protein that gets used to make commercial cheese.

I have yet to see an american cheese in grocery stores.  Excluding fake cheese like Velveeta or Cheez-Whiz.  :yuk:

I'm surprised since Vermont is one of the larger cheese producers (in fact there's a Vermont Cheese Trail.

I know about Vermont.  And American maple syrup too.  But I just haven't seen any of this in a local grocery store.  Maybe in Montreal, with a bigger market, but over here, they push local products and imported european products.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Richard Hakluyt

It is very hard to find good wine from the USA in the UK; but I know from direct experience that the USA produces some good wines. The American market is large though, so my working hypothesis is that they drink all the good stuff and only export a small fraction of it.

Perhaps it is the same for cheese? The internal market of 330m people instantly buying the entire production whenever a good cheesemaker sets up?

Admiral Yi

I read once that US cheese is handicapped by the legal requirement that all cheese has to be made from pasteurized milk.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 03, 2021, 02:25:35 AM
It is very hard to find good wine from the USA in the UK; but I know from direct experience that the USA produces some good wines. The American market is large though, so my working hypothesis is that they drink all the good stuff and only export a small fraction of it.

Perhaps it is the same for cheese? The internal market of 330m people instantly buying the entire production whenever a good cheesemaker sets up?

I don't buy much wine, but Ernest & Julio Gallo have been on shelves here for ages. You're more like to find US craft beers in beer shops, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

It's very rare (or downright impossible) to find yank wine over here in regular store shelves, and specialized wine stores don't carry that much either. Argie/Chilean wines are supercommon though (and delightful).

When I was in NYC my classmates were obsessed with buying Coppola wine (film school, duh) for parties, and I found it pretty terrible. So I never had much chance of trying the good yank wines, really.

Syt

Just had a look at the only shop of Billa, one of the main supermarket chains here. By far the most common origins of wine is Austria (duh), followed by France and Italy. A few Spanish, Chilean, Australian, Greek wines sprinkled throughout. Only American wines are Gallo.

Rather disconcertingly, they also have a few Doppler (i.e. 2 liter bottles) of "European Wine" for 1.99 per bottle. :lol:

Spar, the biggest supermarket chain, have a dedicated site for buying wine, beer, and liquor, and they have a few more US wines, and from other origins that Billa doesn't cover (South Africa, New Zealand, Germany ...), but American whisky outnumbers American wine about 4-1.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Number of wines per origin on the Spar website:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, Down the Rabbit Hole had a good video about the 1980s wine poisoning scandal in Austria (which has, in turn, led to an overhaul of wine production in Austria and improving quality considerably): https://youtu.be/qhN-o2ame-4
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Swedish Systembolaget (state monopoly alcohol store) has the following number of US wines (some other countries for comparison).

United States: 548

France: 3724
Germany: 535

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Looks like the UK is going full mad max 2

BBC News - Fuel supplies: Mortar tanker tailed by drivers looking for petrol
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Swedish artist Lars Vilks (of Mohammed cartoons fame) and two police officers have died in what appears to be a car accident.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/04/muhammad-cartoonist-lars-vilks-reportedly-dies-in-car-crash
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I wondered why that was international news.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

How is Brady still playing? Robot parts?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2021, 02:46:10 AM
I wondered why that was international news.
Because he was in international news during his life? :unsure: