News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

It's the Horrid Thirtieth - so a torrid day in the Church of England, as explained by church historian Francis Young:
QuoteDr Francis Young
@DrFrancisYoung
My favourite part of the Horrid Thirtieth is Anglo-Catholics and Old High Churchpeople facing off over whether it's 'The feast of St Charles the Martyr' or 'A day of fasting and prayer in commemoration of King Charles the Martyr'
And then there are all the Low Churchpeople in the middle going 'Wut?'

And the hardcore Anglo-Papalists resolutely refusing to have any truck with this nonsense
While the occasional middle-of-the-road Anglican pops up to gently remind everyone the Horrid Thirtieth service was actually removed from the Prayer Book in 1859, only to be brutally stuffed in a bin
Meanwhile the Society of King Charles the Martyr and the Royal Martyr Church Union continue their eternal turf war over who is MORE devoted to the memory of King Charles I...
It's tough. It's brutal. It's 30 January on Anglican social media.
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2021, 11:22:00 AM
It's the Horrid Thirtieth - so a torrid day in the Church of England, as explained by church historian Francis Young:
QuoteDr Francis Young
@DrFrancisYoung
My favourite part of the Horrid Thirtieth is Anglo-Catholics and Old High Churchpeople facing off over whether it's 'The feast of St Charles the Martyr' or 'A day of fasting and prayer in commemoration of King Charles the Martyr'
And then there are all the Low Churchpeople in the middle going 'Wut?'

And the hardcore Anglo-Papalists resolutely refusing to have any truck with this nonsense
While the occasional middle-of-the-road Anglican pops up to gently remind everyone the Horrid Thirtieth service was actually removed from the Prayer Book in 1859, only to be brutally stuffed in a bin
Meanwhile the Society of King Charles the Martyr and the Royal Martyr Church Union continue their eternal turf war over who is MORE devoted to the memory of King Charles I...
It's tough. It's brutal. It's 30 January on Anglican social media.
:lol:

:wacko:

Who knew, well obviously you would. :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Shelf (any of the Brits), do you ever listen to "Leading Britain's Conversation" on the radio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEKy2E7xuA

Clips have been showing up on youtube.  Anything you can tell me about the listener demographic?  What puzzles me is in all the clips the hosts tell the callers how stupid they are.  Is their demographic people who like to be told how stupid they are?

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2021, 04:00:14 PM
Shelf (any of the Brits), do you ever listen to "Leading Britain's Conversation" on the radio?

Clips have been showing up on youtube.  Anything you can tell me about the listener demographic?  What puzzles me is in all the clips the hosts tell the callers how stupid they are.  Is their demographic people who like to be told how stupid they are?

I listen to James O'Brien sometimes, he would make a fine addition to Languish. I think the station kind of gears towards controversy, hence everyone with a wild opinion calling in perhaps.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2021, 04:00:14 PM

No.

No idea on the demographic but they used to be London talk/call-in radio. I think they like controversy so will find the caller who is going to most provoke the host or guest (and in fairness it would be incredibly dull radio if they just agreed with each other).

They've a couple of ongoing controversies at the minute. They solicited a call from a member of a fascist party when they were hosting a Q&A with Keir Starmer and one of their hosts (Maajid Nawaz) has gone off the deep end on Trump election and covid conspiracy theories.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on January 31, 2021, 05:56:02 PM
I listen to James O'Brien sometimes, he would make a fine addition to Languish. I think the station kind of gears towards controversy, hence everyone with a wild opinion calling in perhaps.

I think 100% of his callers are knuckleheads, but I think at times his "rebuttals" are too smug and not thought through.

For example in one clip a caller was defending Trump against charges of racism.  O'Brien's response was that the fact he was/is a birther proved Trump is racist.  I don't think it proves anything of the sort.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

And it's coup time again in Myanmar.  They know how to get it done there.

Sheilbh

So my friend in South Sudan woke up this morning and discovered the government had changed timezone. Apparently they hadn't warned anyone so it wasn't on Google and the airport/airlines don't know and neither does anyone else. It is carnage apparently - just everyone has no idea what time it actually is :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 01, 2021, 05:42:18 AM
So my friend in South Sudan

Shit you don't hear every day.

This sounds like it could be the run in for a joke about awful time keeping in equatorial nations. Half the country thinks its 3 o clock and half the country thinks its 5 o clock but everything runs just the same as when they all agreed it was 4.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 01, 2021, 05:42:18 AM
So my friend in South Sudan woke up this morning and discovered the government had changed timezone. Apparently they hadn't warned anyone so it wasn't on Google and the airport/airlines don't know and neither does anyone else. It is carnage apparently - just everyone has no idea what time it actually is :lol:
I google searched and found one English language  lurb about it from a few days ago. Noted that many Sudanese on social media were against it, but seems like change harmonises them with Sudan/Egypt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Fuck the Sims.

Has anyone ever recognised the massive damage this game has wrought on a generation of people?

Spent the whole weekend with my dad taking out my shitty quasi walk in shower to install a bath.
No select and delete, $500, pop in the new one. No. It's a long and difficult task. Retro fitting old pipe work is not the plug and play it is sold as.
And it seems half the floor under what was my shower just isn't there. Huzzah.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

What does that have to do with The Sims?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2021, 08:20:00 PM
And it's coup time again in Myanmar.  They know how to get it done there.

In retrospect, the Military was alot more patient than what I expected in 2011.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Just got an email that our energy provide Green Network Energy stopped trading on the 27th and we have been auto-transferred to EDF.

This was the very first time I have head of this, how come they didn't even bother to notify their clients?  :huh: