News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Once it's over 15C :P

Maybe - is it Scandinavia where they're big on leaving babies in buggies outside?
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Why would you bring a sleeping baby inside?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2021, 07:59:17 AM
Re. Cornwall and warmth: I have heard once somebody's theory, that the Brits are walking around in t-shirt and shorts as soon as it's over 10C (and a lot of them seem to be just wearing shorts in winter as well), is because British parents would not properly cover their babies and so their heat sensibility just breaks.

Is that true? :P
I doubt it. My girlfriend is panicking over this stuff at the moment. The UK has a pretty strict system of 'togs' for how you wrap a kid whilst stuff she's been sent from Europe doesn't have this thus is unusable and dangerous.

As to t-shirt over 10 degrees.... maybe.
There's different sorts of 10 degrees, its an important point. When its hot in the UK it feels far hotter than the same temperature might elsewhere. Likewise our 0 degrees can feel like a Swedish -10. I guess its the moisture in the air.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

You see much the same in Alaska.  Ladies downtown in miniskirts at -15F.  T-shirt weather around 32F and up.  I remember going for run with 60F outside thinking, "Man, this is hot as F".

PDH

Four years in Santa Cruz and I am still waiting for winter.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on January 22, 2021, 09:10:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2021, 07:59:17 AM
Re. Cornwall and warmth: I have heard once somebody's theory, that the Brits are walking around in t-shirt and shorts as soon as it's over 10C (and a lot of them seem to be just wearing shorts in winter as well), is because British parents would not properly cover their babies and so their heat sensibility just breaks.

Is that true? :P
I doubt it. My girlfriend is panicking over this stuff at the moment. The UK has a pretty strict system of 'togs' for how you wrap a kid whilst stuff she's been sent from Europe doesn't have this thus is unusable and dangerous.

Unusable and dangerous children's clothing?  :rolleyes:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: PDH on January 22, 2021, 11:02:18 AM
Four years in Santa Cruz and I am still waiting for winter.

Yeah Trump really let you down on that promised nuclear winter.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

:(  This wasn't unexpected, but that makes it no less sad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 21, 2021, 06:58:31 PM
Never had a pastrami sandwich in the US that could compete with a Montreal smoked meat sandwich.

While I prefer corned beef; smoked meat is a great sandwich.

Does Canada have any other regional sandwiches than Montreal smoked meat or Toronto's peameal bacon?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Grumbler, is there a streaming service where we can get B5?

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2021, 02:53:52 PM
Grumbler, is there a streaming service where we can get B5?

In the US, Babylon 5 is available for "purchase" on Amazon Prime Video.

Syt

As I posted on the TV thread:

QuoteSo many of that show's regulars who died too soon:
- Michael O'Hare (Cmdr Sinclair, 60)
- Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi, 60)
- Richard Biggs (Dr Franklin, 44)
- Stephen Furst (Vir Cotto, 63)
- Jeff Conaway (Zack Allan, 60)
- Andreas Katsulas (Ambassador G'kar, 59)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.