Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2019, 12:50:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2019, 12:48:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2019, 12:42:10 AM
I just read in the NYTimes that there may be 100% tariff on French wines.  Is Minsky going to be okay? :unsure:

What? Why? Are Italian or Spanish wines ok?

Retaliation against some French tax on tech companies.

That...makes no sense. Wine is only one small part of French exports to the US and obviously far smaller than the tech sector. I guess it is a strategic ploy to activate the ever militant French farmers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2019, 02:08:03 AM
That...makes no sense. Wine is only one small part of French exports to the US and obviously far smaller than the tech sector. I guess it is a strategic ploy to activate the ever militant French farmers.

Retaliatory tariffs always work like that.  You pick an export that politically impacts the instigators of the original tariff (or tax in this case), doesn't inconvenience your own consumers overly much, and possibly gives domestic competitors a little edge.  For example the EU laid tariffs on Bourbon, among other things, for Trump's steel tariffs.

The Minsky Moment

Right - French wine is always on the top of the retaliation list, not because the French economy depends on wine exports to the US but because it is highly visible and associated with French culture and national identity.  Think of it like a baseball brawl where all the players run out wildly waving arms, pushing and shoving, but not much actual physical violence is being done.  You don't want to do real, permanent damage.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The whole wine tariff schedule on EU-origin wines is a confused mess right now.  Italian wines are completely exempt for some reason.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2019, 02:16:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2019, 02:08:03 AM

Retaliatory tariffs always work like that.  You pick an export that politically impacts the instigators of the original tariff (or tax in this case), doesn't inconvenience your own consumers overly much, and possibly gives domestic competitors a little edge.  For example the EU laid tariffs on Bourbon, among other things, for Trump's steel tariffs.
Right. And in this case the EU collectively will respond.

I actually think Trump's proposed tariffs on Argentina and Brazil for "national security" reasons is the bigger story because, apparently, that "national security" loophole is now just general Presidential fiat.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2019, 03:07:14 PM
Right. And in this case the EU collectively will respond.

Solidarity forever
Solidarity forever
Solidarity foreeeeever
The (European) Union makes us strong
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

I'm not sure the first Amazon Prime football games are working as hoped. "Just a reminder you can also watch Crystal Palace against Bournemouth - it's goalless!"
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I do enjoy a good 0-0 match

Sheilbh

Some are good. Some are "intriguing tactical contests".
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2019, 03:40:36 PM
Some are good. Some are "intriguing tactical contests".

In German the euphemism is "Ein Spiel für Taktikfreunde." - A match for friends of tactics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Rare earth oxides are used in various industrial and engineering applications; the consumer end-users are concentrated in the highly-developed OECD economies.  China dominates mining because of lower labor costs and standards.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017