News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Underdogs! Now that's a blast from the past!

Savonarola

I was listening to a podcast on Ancient Rome where they were discussing the equestrian class.  One of the speakers mentioned the "Equus Publicus," the horse the equestrian rode into battle was provided by the state (through a tax on unmarried women.)  I thought that's a concept we should bring back, we can call the man in charge of the program "The Director of Public Horsing."

Sorry   :Embarrass:  Anyhow he proceeded to read Plutarch's account of Pompey turning in his public horse:

QuoteBut the most agreeable of all spectacles was that which he afforded the people when he appeared in person and solicited his discharge from military service.

It is customary for a Roman knight, when he has served for the time fixed by law, to lead his horse into the forum before the two men who are called censors, and after enumerating all the generals and imperators under whom he has served, and rendering an account of his service in the field, to receive his discharge. Honours and penalties are also awarded, according to the career of each.

At this time, then, the censors Gellius and Lentulus were sitting in state, and the knights were passing in review before them, when Pompey was seen coming down the descent into the forum, but leading his horse with his own hand. When he was near and could be plainly seen, he ordered his lictors to make way for him, and led his horse up to the tribunal.  The people were astonished and kept perfect silence, and the magistrates were awed and delighted at the sight. Then the senior censor put the question: "Pompeius Magnus, I ask thee whether thou hast performed all the military services required by law?" Then Pompey said with a loud voice: "I have performed them all, and all under myself as imperator." On hearing this, the people gave a loud shout, and it was no longer possible to check their cries of joy, but the censors rose up and accompanied Pompey to his home, thus gratifying the citizens, who followed with applause.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 28, 2019, 09:38:28 AM
HOTU is how I discovered EU1.

Yeah, Hartmann was a regular on HOTU. He disappeared suddenly and then only came back to rave about this game, "Europa Universalis." :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Underdogs!

I discovered so many awesome old games there. Such good memories.

Much wow.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2019, 09:05:02 AM
Apparently my access lapsed in 2016.  I'm sure I joined sometime in 2001 because I vividly remember discussing 9/11 on EUOT as it happened.

So you have an unmerged account, waiting to be reactivated.
Only did it last year or so.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2019, 09:05:02 AM
Apparently my access lapsed in 2016.  I'm sure I joined sometime in 2001 because I vividly remember discussing 9/11 on EUOT as it happened.

Yeah I was in that thread as well. That was...quite a morning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quotethe censors rose up and accompanied Pompey to his home

Fucking stalkers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Pompey was an Equestrian? Huh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

frunk

Member #2512 for me, March 30, 2001.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2019, 10:16:54 AM

His father, Pompey Strabo, was a novus homo.  He did achieve senatorial status, but maybe not until Pompey the Great was older? :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

I've had several accounts at Paradox. The second one is from 2004, can't remember what name I used for the first. I am teh olds.

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 28, 2019, 11:28:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2019, 10:16:54 AM

His father, Pompey Strabo, was a novus homo.

Was that ever proved?

Tamas

celedhring

Now that I remember, I also had a sockpuppet account  :ph34r: I guess it's dead now.