News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2019, 08:54:12 PM
The Mountie Faggits sold their image rights to Disney in the 1990s.

From an Econo article about how fucked up the RCMP is.

Every strange story.

I mean - the RCMP has it's issues, and the articles covers some of the governance questions that are certainly valid.  But the RCMP selling its marketing rights to Disney is not one of them - let Disney sell mountie trinkets, and give the force an extra revenue source.

Or how it tries to tarnish the force by bringing up events from the 70s and 80s.

Or recruiting practices ahve been compared to a religious order.  By whom?  I've never heard that complaint, like ever.  And by the way an awful lot of RCMP recruits do have university degrees, and I've known members who joined in their late 30s.

Or how positions go unfilled - only because they're trying to reach diversity quotas.  They have no shortage of qualified white male applicants.

Or how it missed the biggest fucking story of all - the RCMP is in the process of unionizing!  That surely would fit with the tenor of the overall article (since members aren't unionizing because they love management), yet goes curiously unremarked on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Yeah, the sale was not mentioned as a problem, but rather as an aspect of their iconic status.

Syt

Representative survey finds that 77% of Germans in the states of former West Germany think democracy is the best form of government. In the East German states that number is 42%.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on January 23, 2019, 10:57:55 AM
Gustavus Adolphus tried to end the war but fucking papists were obstructionist af.

Yet French papists, led by a Cardinal no less, had to bail out Sweden.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2019, 03:09:38 AM
Representative survey finds that 77% of Germans in the states of former West Germany think democracy is the best form of government. In the East German states that number is 42%.
. I'd be more interested in how that survey skews by demographic...mainly by age bracket (i.e those born after reunification versus an older population).

Syt

No idea. The relevant article is behind a paywall.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2019, 06:10:59 AM
Gustavus Adolphus tried to end the war but fucking papists were obstructionist af.

Turning the works of Satan against himself indicates true genius.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on January 24, 2019, 11:07:28 AM

Richelieu's works were never turned against himself.

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2019, 11:17:49 AM

You really hate Richelieu, don't you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on January 24, 2019, 11:20:23 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2019, 11:17:49 AM

You really hate Richelieu, don't you?

Being Satan is not necessarily a bad thing in Machiavellian politics. For christians, be them Lutherans or Catholics however...

celedhring

El Prado's twitter account is running the 10 year challenge using royal portraits from their collection.  :D

https://twitter.com/museodelprado

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2019, 12:24:58 PM
El Prado's twitter account is running the 10 year challenge using royal portraits from their collection.  :D

https://twitter.com/museodelprado

Quite nifty, their CM deserves a pat in the back.

Savonarola

I have seen the future, and it cannot play piano: UBTECH's Walker Robot.

Watch out Morrissey. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

From a guardian commenter:
QuoteFor many years I shopped at a butchers in Chiswick and they had a favourite story. One day a woman asked for a pheasant, she looked at the man serving and said 'have you got a large cock?'. She never went back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

My account on the Paradox forums turns 18 today.  :lol:  :(
—Stephen Jay Gould