News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

we haven't littered enough on earth, now we're sending junk to mars? is the car up on blocks at least, to complete the red neck image?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on February 06, 2018, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2018, 04:14:27 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 06, 2018, 03:50:45 PM
SpaceX just launched a Tesla Roadster towards Mars playing Bowie on the stereo. Well played.

That seems awfully wasteful to me. Getting stuff outside of earth orbit is expensive. Couldn't they have sent a more valid probe up there?

It was a test flight and Musk estimated it had a 50/50 chance of success, so no.

Those cars aren't cheap.

And I'm sure a few quick experiments could be cobbled together without breaking the bank in the way regular probes can
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2018, 05:06:10 PM
SpaceX just launched a Tesla Roadster towards Mars playing Bowie on the stereo. Well played.

That seems awfully wasteful to me. Getting stuff outside of earth orbit is expensive. Couldn't they have sent a more valid probe up there?

It was a test flight and Musk estimated it had a 50/50 chance of success, so no.

Those cars aren't cheap.

And I'm sure a few quick experiments could be cobbled together without breaking the bank in the way regular probes can

And miss out on the cross marketing opportunity?

frunk

Those cars aren't cheap.

The cost to launch dwarfs the cost of what you are launching, so it doesn't really matter what the roadster costs.

Liep

I don't really think there are any meaningful quick experiments that you could just launch into space, maybe. Plus, as cc says Tesla will be mentioned in every newspaper.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Musk thought the Roadster made more sense than the boring machine.

dps

Those cars aren't cheap.

Nobody wants to put their experiments on a flight that has a 50% chance of failure.  Apparently it's common practice to put some dead weight on a rocket test flight to simulate a normal payload.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on February 06, 2018, 04:30:16 PM
we haven't littered enough on earth, now we're sending junk to mars? is the car up on blocks at least, to complete the red neck image?

Hey, it's worse: launching a Telsa Roadster is a signal to the Martians that we're gonna gentrify Mars. Wealthy hipsters are coming next.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Speaking of gentrification, last weekend I was talking with a white kid who's living now in the fucking South Bronx.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2018, 06:45:30 PM
Nobody wants to put their experiments on a flight that has a 50% chance of failure.  Apparently it's common practice to put some dead weight on a rocket test flight to simulate a normal payload.
So the gimmick is to advertise Tesla Roadster's utility as a dead weight?   :hmm:  I'm not a marketing guy, but it doesn't seem like one of those features you want to focus on during your pitch.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2018, 08:24:18 PM
Quote from: dps on February 06, 2018, 06:45:30 PM
So the gimmick is to advertise Tesla Roadster's utility as a dead weight?   :hmm:  I'm not a marketing guy, but it doesn't seem like one of those features you want to focus on during your pitch.

Odd, given how innovative they and other space agencies are, you'd think given a bit of notice someone could have come up with a 'throw away' scientific experiment?

Perhaps something like a giant unfolding solar sail, maybe somewhat reflected, any way I'm no scientist, but you get the drift.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Do remember this is the man who recently sold flamethrowers as a 'fun' thing. He also put up videos of him acting like an ecstatic child while he held one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on February 06, 2018, 05:40:09 PM
I don't really think there are any meaningful quick experiments that you could just launch into space, maybe. Plus, as cc says Tesla will be mentioned in every newspaper.

Yeah, all our newspapers carry today the picture of the car floating in space. It's a great commercial.

I also think it'd a great way to hide a murder in plain sight. How do we know that was really a crash test dummy?  :hmm:

Tamas

Oh you bunch of old bitter people, can't you just be positive once?

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2018, 06:01:35 AM

Oh you bunch of old bitter people, can't you just be positive once?
The way the world is going, what exactly is there to be positive about?