Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2018, 04:27:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2018, 04:46:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2018, 06:11:39 AM
Also key is that it shouldn't actually occur before noon, despite what the term would suggest.

Is this a recent development? I never had Brunch after 12 before. Usually had it around 11ish.

Then all you had was breakfast.

Or brunch (which is a combination of breakfast and lunch).  Eaten after noon, all you have is lunch.  Hipsters may think that they can appropriate the existing term brunch and call a late lunch "brunch," but they are wrong. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2018, 05:22:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2018, 04:27:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2018, 04:46:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2018, 06:11:39 AM
Also key is that it shouldn't actually occur before noon, despite what the term would suggest.

Is this a recent development? I never had Brunch after 12 before. Usually had it around 11ish.

Then all you had was breakfast.

Or brunch (which is a combination of breakfast and lunch).  Eaten after noon, all you have is lunch.  Hipsters may think that they can appropriate the existing term brunch and call a late lunch "brunch," but they are wrong. 

It is pretty established by now. As a now old example look at Sex and the City. Not exactly a bunch of hipsters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I don't think I've ever had "brunch". Now, traditional breakfast food at dinner time, that is a longstanding tradition n my family.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It's only brunch if eaten after noon is a beautiful people affectation.

Jacob

I'm happy to consider it brunch, whether you eat it before or after noon. To me the important criteria are whether it's your first meal after getting up, and whether you don't have any other substantial meals until dinner (i.e. you don't also have a late lunch).

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2018, 04:36:35 AM
A niche product which would be cool but not quite cool enough to be worth inventing-  a wireless mouse with a 3 way switch; off, receiver 1 on, receiver 2 on.
For those of us who sometimes have to use multiple computers at once.

I'd buy one.

Jacob

Seems like there are already several solutions on the market. Just google "one mouse with two computers".

MadBurgerMaker

I require Tyr's mouse to be the exact same thing as the MS Sculpt Comfort mouse, just with available multiple computer pairing. 

E: Oh speaking of computer stuff: if you're in the market for a GFX card, Newegg has a sale for another hour:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131720

I got one to replace a failing GTX 970 and it's....fine...well hell it's basically the same thing (this one might handle 1440 a little better, but that means nothing to me, since I run everything on 1080p and see no reason to change) from what I can tell, just newer.  It isn't worth $400, but then again it REALLY isn't worth what they're normally charging for this tier of GFX card these days.  Damn miners.

For comparison, the 4GB version is not on sale and is $640 :bleeding:  These should be 200-300 cards.

Grey Fox

Mouse without Borders is what you want.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

grumbler

The USS Hornet (CV-12) was designated a historic site because of its involvement in the space program and WW2.  The library of Congress sent some photographers to take pictures in about the late 90s.  Those were then stored in the LOC archives and made available recently on the web.  The archive consists of 130 pictures.

As you would expect, some of the photos are somewhat mislabeled.  Two in particular are amusingly, drastically mislabeled:
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/wa0343.photos.369898p/resource/

This one is NSFW:
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/wa0343.photos.369906p/resource/

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Our King is dying. :( After several operations for blot clots, lung cancer and a dementia diagnosis what took him out was a vacation to Egypt.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2018, 09:34:15 AM
Our King is dying. :( After several operations for blot clots, lung cancer and a dementia diagnosis what took him out was a vacation to Egypt.

Is he king? I thought he was just prince.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on February 10, 2018, 10:03:36 AM

King in all but name. Technically a prince-consort I think.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2018, 10:09:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 10, 2018, 10:03:36 AM

King in all but name. Technically a prince-consort I think.

King in all but name, really? He doesn't reign, wifey does.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.