News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Camerus on January 25, 2018, 06:17:49 PM
The dumbassery is that she repeatedly mischaracterizes what Peterson is saying - even when stated as plain as day - so as to accord with her own ideological assumptions.

But still a tempest in a teapot.

Do you have any particular exchanges in mind?

I stopped around the "do women have a duty" exchange.  Now one could interpret that as "oh, based on what you've said up to now obviously you think women have a duty, which makes you an asshole," or one could interpret it as "OK, then a possible inference of what you have said is that women have a duty.  Do you believe that?"  Or one could interpret it as "OK, thanks for your answer, branching off from that do you think women have a duty?"

Camerus

The duty exchange struck me as reasonable.

I'm thinking more of the discussion around the pay gap and its causes and implications.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2018, 06:45:24 PM
Do you have any particular exchanges in mind?

I stopped around the "do women have a duty" exchange.  Now one could interpret that as "oh, based on what you've said up to now obviously you think women have a duty, which makes you an asshole," or one could interpret it as "OK, then a possible inference of what you have said is that women have a duty.  Do you believe that?"  Or one could interpret it as "OK, thanks for your answer, branching off from that do you think women have a duty?"

The lobster bit was probably the most blatant example of her refusing to acknowledge what he said.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Got into the pay gap stuff.  I would say she comes off as dense more than evil and conniving or whatever the accusation is.  He's using precise language and she's not processing it.

Clearly she should be paid less.

Camerus

Dense yes, but her stupidity seems to be driven by being unable to imagine or respond to Peterson as anything other than her preconceived ideological caricature of someone who disagrees with the standard pay gap narrative.

Admiral Yi

My Youtube puppet masters have decided I want to watch six clips about the Petersen Newman interview.  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Camerus on January 25, 2018, 07:47:11 PM
Dense yes, but her stupidity seems to be driven by being unable to imagine or respond to Peterson as anything other than her preconceived ideological caricature of someone who disagrees with the standard pay gap narrative.

Impossible to tell if it is stupidity or her simply trying to say what the "woman on the street" would say, in order to please her audience.  This is a one-off for him, but it is her career.  She's interested in ratings, not truth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 25, 2018, 03:49:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 03:25:33 AM
Surprising China would bother with official languages

Why?  China has always been big, covering lots of people who speak many different languages and dialects.  The need for one or more common, official language has been an issue since ancient times. 
Written Chinese was that language no?

The thing with Chinese is that you can't tell the pronunciation from the written form.  So yes, while the written form stays the same, there are hundreds of different dialects, and they are all mutually unintelligible.  Just walk to the next village and they all pronounce the words differently.  Also, the spoken form is important as most of the Chinese population was illiterate until the recent decades.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Camerus on January 25, 2018, 07:47:11 PM

Fair enough.

Liep

Opportunistic politician and baker who had his bakery trashed after refusing to pay protection money to the local gang when they were both happy because the charity she started for him was doing well. Now he stands trial for grand theft auto and arsen and she regrets the charity because the police has called bullshit on his story, apparently the trashing was because he owed money to a former business partner.

Ah well, ebbs and flows. She'll hopefully bounce back as she's actually one of the good conservatives.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on January 25, 2018, 08:01:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 25, 2018, 03:49:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 03:25:33 AM
Surprising China would bother with official languages

Why?  China has always been big, covering lots of people who speak many different languages and dialects.  The need for one or more common, official language has been an issue since ancient times. 
Written Chinese was that language no?

The thing with Chinese is that you can't tell the pronunciation from the written form.  So yes, while the written form stays the same, there are hundreds of different dialects, and they are all mutually unintelligible.  Just walk to the next village and they all pronounce the words differently.  Also, the spoken form is important as most of the Chinese population was illiterate until the recent decades.

When did they introduce an official spoken language?
I was really under the impression with China that only the written language was standardised until pretty recent times.
It just  doesn't seem to fit with the imperial Chinese world view  to have an official language, particularly considering it wasn't really until the 19th century that this concept really even took hold in the west.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2018, 08:17:05 AM
Frenchmen amok over cheap Nutella:

https://twitter.com/kennyLebon/status/956481551621066753

I'd probably elbow an old lady to get in there and grab an armload.  We go through that stuff like crazy in my house.  And the generic Kroger version not only sucks, but it's about as expensive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

70 % off, and off to riot.  :D

[spoiler]I have not had nutella since I was a kid. Don't like it anymore.[/spoiler]