News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Copenhagen desperately lacks cheap places for students to live. The market responds by building lots of new small apartments especially for students. The market sets price for small apartments at €1200 a month and everything is still rented. If it works I don't know how.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I'm not sure I quite follow. Is that a lot?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2016, 04:15:24 PM

€1200 for 25m2 apartments, I think that's quite a lot for a student. :unsure:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2016, 04:16:23 PM

Garbon is 'telling' us he pays significantly more than that, .........
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2016, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2016, 04:16:23 PM

Garbon is 'telling' us he pays significantly more than that, .........

Aren't you a vulgar little thing? I'm not Marti.

I have no reference for what prices are like in Denmark. I was always told they are expensive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yorkshire expansionism! :ph34r:
QuoteYorkshire Dales expand into Lancashire in national parks land grab
Extension seen by some as further erosion of Red rose county by white, with fears larger protected area may create pitfalls for farmers and landowners

The Yorkshire Dales now include Leck Fell, near Kirkby Lonsdale, which hitherto stood proudly as Lancashire's highest point.
Photograph: Alamy

Helen Pidd North of England editor
Monday 1 August 2016 18.43 BST Last modified on Monday 1 August 2016 23.15 BST

It is more than 500 years since the House of Lancaster won the ultimate battle of the Wars of the Roses, but the Yorkies have finally wrought their revenge. On Monday, despite protests by farmers in the red rose county, a lovely little corner of Lancashire found itself subsumed by the Yorkshire Dales, after the national park increased in size by 24%.

Under reforms unveiled by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), 1% of the newly enlarged Yorkshire Dales is now actually in Lancashire's Upper Lune valley, with a much larger chunk snaffled from Cumbria. The park now includes Leck Fell, near Kirkby Lonsdale, which hitherto stood proudly as Lancashire's highest point, providing extensive views towards Morecambe Bay, the Forest of Bowland – and the Lake District, which itself expanded by 3% on Monday under the Defra plans.

The move — implemented on Yorkshire Day is viewed by some as the further erosion of Lancashire by its insufferably bumptious neighbour, which is getting far too big for its boots after wooing the French over to host the Tour de France in 2014 and effectively coming 12th in the Olympic medal table in 2012.

In written submissions to Natural England, which held an inquiry into the national park extension, MPs David Nuttall and Simon Danczuk argued on behalf of the Friends of Real Lancashire that labelling parts of the county under the Yorkshire banner would further erode the historic county, which had already lost land to "Greater Manchester" during local government reforms in 1972.

Susie Charles, Conservative councillor for Leck, also opposed the move on the grounds that many farmers and landowners feared the "red tape and bureaucracy" that comes with owning property and running businesses in a national park. "It will be much more difficult for them to get planning permission now," she said.

But the naysayers were in the minority. Of the 3,043 responses submitted to Natural England's inquiry, just 220 objected. At the Hipping Hall hotel in Cowan Bridge, which has squeaked into the Yorkshire Dales by metres, operations director Tom Lewis was cock-a-hoop. "Isn't this exciting? Until now we've been positioned between the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales, effectively in no-man's land. We have beautiful, beautiful countryside here but it has been really difficult for us to get that message across," he said.

Lewis said he did not feel traitorous by being so openly pleased that the hotel has been welcomed into the bosom of Lancashire's rival county. "I'm rather pleased that we have got somebody who wants to embrace us."

Lancashire county councillor Marcus Johnstone, cabinet member for environment and planning, said: "I'm proud to say that I'll be Lancashire's representative on the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, so it could also be seen as the red rose county heading across their border as well.

"Ultimately this is about working together to protect and support some outstanding countryside, regardless of the county you'll find it in. It's wonderful that some special areas of Lancashire are now included in the national park.

"I'm looking forward to working closely with our colleagues to continue their excellent work in the national park. We'll keep our long-running rivalry for things like the cricket."

Despite the change in geography the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority said the government had no plans to change the park's name, which was written on a designation order in 1954. In total, 188 sq miles, an area bigger than the Isle of Wight, were enveloped by the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales national parks on Monday.

The new Lake District includes an area from Birkbeck Fells Common to Whinfell Common to the east and an area from Helsington Barrows to Sizergh Fell, an area north of Sizergh Castle and part of the Lyth valley to the south – an extension of 27 sq miles.

The Yorkshire Dales has expanded by 161 sq miles to include parts of the Orton Fells, northern Howgill Fells, Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang. The two national parks almost touch at the M6, and the whole of the Howgill Fells is protected.

Kate Ashbrook, general secretary of the Open Spaces Society, which campaigned for the move, was chuffed: "We are delighted that this long-unfinished business has at last been completed. The park borders were illogical, reflecting former local-authority boundaries which paid no attention to landscape and natural beauty."

Helen Pidd is a Lancastrian
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2016, 05:41:23 PM
...operations director Tom Lewis was cock-a-hoop. "Isn't this exciting? Until now we've been positioned between the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales, effectively in no-man's land.

:hmm:

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

What the fuck, man?  Ralph Lauren meets the goddamned Russian Navy?  THE FUCK MAN

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2016, 12:56:32 PM
Thanks to negative interest rates, Germany earned 1.5 billion Euro on its debt in the first half of the year.  :wacko:
Moar debt! !
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Apparently in the 2nd half of the 19th century the British forgot how to cure scurvy.  :wacko:

http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 02, 2016, 02:18:15 AM
Apparently in the 2nd half of the 19th century the British forgot how to cure scurvy.  :wacko:

http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

I swear I read a languish thread where it was claimed that some modern day US residents are suffering from scurvy.  Pretty amazing because it doesn't take much vitamin C intake to prevent contracting the disease. 

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I think I've seen the strip Lucy is drawing, or at least some variation of it, in every editorial page of every American newspaper I've ever read.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Fun Japanese word of the day: 魔法使い.
It means a wizard.
Back in the day purported wizards were scary people, outcasts from society. So the term in modern use means...a man who is still a virgin at 30.
If they make it to 45 without losing their virginity then they become a  妖精. A fairy.
The more you know.
██████
██████
██████