News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I always pronounce data that way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Usually day-tuh, sometimes da-tuh.  GIF as in gift.

Norgy

Depends on if you're American or British. Only Brits can make "data" sound like something dirty.
While the Yanks make it dirty.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on March 14, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
Depends on if you're American or British. Only Brits can make "data" sound like something dirty.
While the Yanks make it dirty.

That's so deep Mr. Sartre.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2016, 04:02:42 PM
Usually day-tuh, sometimes da-tuh.  GIF as in gift.

Well, you're wrong.  Now I'm going to turn your head into a toilet.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 14, 2016, 05:50:37 PM
Well, you're wrong.  Now I'm going to turn your head into a toilet.

Words are cheap.

Josquius

I recall hearing that pre ST:TNG data tended to be said  dahtah and it was the show using daytah, right at the time when data started to become a word people would actually use,  that popularised that pronunciation.
No idea how true that is. Not old enough.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

My cubicle neighbor of many years has always been pronouncing it da-tuh.  I never brought it up, but I was privately fuming the entire time.  :mad:

Razgovory

Is it weird to write out what you plan to say to someone before you call them?  I do that and I can't avoid the feeling that this is the behavior of idiots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2016, 07:25:02 PM
Is it weird to write out what you plan to say to someone before you call them?  I do that and I can't avoid the feeling that this is the behavior of idiots.

just anxiety. maybe it's heightened by lack of social activity? before college, I did that with a few phone calls

celedhring

I do that a lot myself, when preparing work calls.

derspiess

I do a full script for some of my project calls. Don't always use it, but it's handy for when I have a brain fart.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

I've heard data said the UK way in academia, I think, so I admit to saying it like that in certain contexts.  Doesn't stop me mocking my Queens' English father for using the Queen's English in saying "herbs," which is a pure affectation and came out of nowhere.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Frack.
My phone alarm clocks completely failed to go off today. Luckily woke up at 9 naturally
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tyr on March 15, 2016, 03:32:38 AM
Frack.
My phone alarm clocks completely failed to go off today. Luckily woke up at 9 naturally

:huh: "Luckily woke up at 9"??  What time do they expect your lazy asses to be at work in CH anyways?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)