News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2016, 07:51:09 AM
Visa for Turkey? Are you applying for a job there?

I would assume visa for visiting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

I thought the British passport was worth something. Danes can get into Turkey without a visa for a 90 days stay.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/01/travel/worlds-best-worst-passports/index.html

According to that the UK passport allows free entry to more countries than a Danish one.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Just going to visit Istanbul for a few days at the end of the month.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2016, 07:36:11 AM
Applying for a visa for turkey.  Wow they're demanding. Have to upload so many documents and the site is muttering about visiting a consulate?
Yet so many British people go there every year as a standard beach resort place..... huh!?

Tourist visas for Turkey are done at the airport when you arrive and you only have to pay a fee. At least it was like that when I went there a couple of years ago. You must be looking at a different kind of visa, for residence or something.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2016, 10:34:00 AM
Applying for a visa for turkey.  Wow they're demanding. Have to upload so many documents and the site is muttering about visiting a consulate?
Yet so many British people go there every year as a standard beach resort place..... huh!?

Tourist visas for Turkey are done at the airport when you arrive and you only have to pay a fee. At least it was like that when I went there a couple of years ago. You must be looking at a different kind of visa, for residence or something.

No, doesn't work like that anymore. I recall reading that about a year ago.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on March 07, 2016, 11:18:29 AM

I took a look at it, apparently they set up this new system in 2013 (I went there in 2012), but you can still do it in the airport upon arrival:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

Quote- Visitors arriving to Turkey without visas may obtain their e-Visas via interactive kiosks placed in Turkish airports.

So at the end of the day it's still the same, pay a fee and you're in.

Edit: Heh, also apparently Spanish visitors (along with people from many other EU countries as well as Switzerland, Northern Cyprus and Georgia) can get into Turkey with just an ID, but British visitors have to carry a passport.

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2016, 07:51:09 AM
Visa for Turkey? Are you applying for a job there?

Can't blame the Turks on this one, given all that Gallipoli business.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

Hmm, yeah, tourist visa for Americans back in 2010-11 was one (1) US $20 bill upon arrival.  Not change for a $50, not two $10 bills, not two one $10 and two $5s, just one Andreas Cakçon $20 bill.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2016, 12:44:26 PM
Hmm, yeah, tourist visa for Americans back in 2010-11 was one (1) US $20 bill upon arrival.  Not change for a $50, not two $10 bills, not two $10s and two $5s, just one Andreas Cakçon $20 bill.

:lol:

I had to pay a "Reciprocity Fee" of $250 to get into Argentina last time I went there.  Looks like they recently lowered it to $160 and it covers five years' worth of travel, but it's still bullshit.  It's basically a retaliation against the US requiring a visa from Argies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2016, 11:22:18 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 07, 2016, 11:18:29 AM

I took a look at it, apparently they set up this new system in 2013 (I went there in 2012), but you can still do it in the airport upon arrival:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

Quote- Visitors arriving to Turkey without visas may obtain their e-Visas via interactive kiosks placed in Turkish airports.

So at the end of the day it's still the same, pay a fee and you're in.

Edit: Heh, also apparently Spanish visitors (along with people from many other EU countries as well as Switzerland, Northern Cyprus and Georgia) can get into Turkey with just an ID, but British visitors have to carry a passport.

Strange, the Dutch tourism board for Turkey says paying at the airport is discontinued as of 2015.

Josquius

It wouldn't surprise me if they're being particularly arse holey to Brits in light of our government in recent years toughening up on immigration and making things awkward for people travelling to Blighty.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Holy crap, I had no idea Sharapova has been suffering from heart condition for the last 10 years. :o It makes her sporting success even more impressive.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2016, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2016, 12:44:26 PM
Hmm, yeah, tourist visa for Americans back in 2010-11 was one (1) US $20 bill upon arrival.  Not change for a $50, not two $10 bills, not two $10s and two $5s, just one Andreas Cakçon $20 bill.

:lol:

I had to pay a "Reciprocity Fee" of $250 to get into Argentina last time I went there.  Looks like they recently lowered it to $160 and it covers five years' worth of travel, but it's still bullshit.  It's basically a retaliation against the US requiring a visa from Argies.

How is that kind of reciprocity bullshit? It seems pretty fair to me.