News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

So the Winnipeg Jets play a pre-season hockey game in Edmonton on Wednesday.  For some reason I told my connection I'd take his tickets.  Everybody tries to unload pre-season games.  They're not that exciting, they don't mean anything, half the players won't make the final roster.

But so I've got these two tickets, not sure what to do with them.  I could take the missus, but that means getting a babysitter and she isn't all that into hockey (though she does have fun the once a year we usually go).

But then I wondered - what about taking Timmy to his first game?  He won't care it's only pre-season.

Trouble is though it's a school night.  His usual bedtime is 8pm, but puck drop is 7pm.  I doubt we'd make it back before 10:30 given the travel time.

What say you Languish: should I take my kindergarten-aged son to a hockey game this week?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Take him. Kindergarten, pfa!

And since it's a preseason game, it won't matter too much when he asks you to go home after the 2nd period.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Yes take him, that would be a great time.

Tonitrus

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 02:08:31 PM
What say you Languish: should I take my kindergarten-aged son to a hockey game this week?

Normally I would say yes.  But its the Jets.

katmai

What kind of father are you?

That would even have to ask this question, you monster!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

You remember Berlin's new airport? Scheduled for opening 2010. When it was just about to open in 2012, it turned out that the fire protection was completely inadequate. Since then they've been trying to remedy the situation. Tentative new opening date: 2017. Now inspectors have noticed that the fans built into the main hall's roof before 2012 have twice the weight that was originally approved and have therefore stopped all construction until there's a new expertise on whether or not the roof is still safe.

Funnily, the mayor was asked by the opposition about exactly this point last December, and he said that everything was fine and within regulation. This is such a clusterfuck. :D

Opening of airport in 2018?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Stay closed I'd say. It's so comforting that other countries (and even one usually thought of as very effecient) can also fuck up in such an extraordinary way.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I'm feeling an early onset of seasonal affective disorder. Everything is so gray, cold and wet. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2015, 03:15:25 AM
Stay closed I'd say. It's so comforting that other countries (and even one usually thought of as very effecient) can also fuck up in such an extraordinary way.

Yes!

We've been building a highway access for 9 years around Montreal's airport.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 22, 2015, 08:13:59 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2015, 03:15:25 AM

Yes!

We've been building a highway access for 9 years around Montreal's airport.

Wow, that's pretty bad.

The major municipal fuck up in Edmonton has been the LRT extension.  It's a grand totals of 3km long that was set to open Spring 2014.  Problem was they couldn't get the signalling between the new and old track to work correctly.  Trying to fix it they pushed back the opening date into the summer, then the winter, then the next spring.  It finally just opened a few weeks ago - but they never did figure out the signalling, so the trains are run completely manually, and at only half speed. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Somebody didn't play enough Railway Tycoon back in the day

Josquius

At least your countries try.
So many things need doing in Britain, but unless its in London the government just don't give a crap. So many projects didn't get far beyond the planning stage.
██████
██████
██████