News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Some things never change.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Lettow77

Japan largely frowns upon painkillers during pregnancy- the most frequently cited reason is that it reinforces the bond between mother and child. Those seeking medications have to go to one of the comparatively rare hospitals that offer such relief.

On the other hand, my lovely wife's maternity calendar she received from her doctor had helpful notations about the most (medically speaking) spiritually potent times to go to the shrine and get your ease-of-birth Shinto magic rituals completed. (It is advised by the physician to undergo such spellweaving twice- once in each the second and third trimester.)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

I wanted the drugs. So I didn't have to hear the whining.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 07:26:12 PM
  Japan largely frowns upon painkillers during pregnancy- the most frequently cited reason is that it reinforces the bond between mother and child.
Do you mean that they believe that the pain of childbirth reinforces the bond?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Yeah, isn't that quaint? It is generally the doctor's recommendation not to use any pain medicine.

(Well, he doesn't really need to make the recommendation- it is accepted that you won't use pain medicine; it isn't really a seriously considered option, such as shinto pain-relief magic.)

Anti pre-natal vitamin sentiment is also very strong. Japan is really cute and I am glad I live here.

Tonitrus

I pretty much picture Lettow's life as akin to how James Bond lives when he infiltrates the Japanese village in You Only Live Twice.  Except with more Confederate flags and anime.

Liep

13 people have been arrested for bribing public office drones to get orders on municipal IT solutions. Denmark is ruined, we might as well call it quits and join Italy as a province or something. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 07:26:12 PM
  Japan largely frowns upon painkillers during pregnancy

Thankfully, due to Japan's birthrate, not much frowning goes on.

Lettow77

The tragedy of Japan's birth rate is a little overplayed. It is ahead of the curve regionally,  but Taiwan and South Korea are going to take the fall harder than Japan did, and who knows what will become of China since it's having its birth-rate plummet before becoming a luxurious first-world society instead of doing the sensitive thing.

With a rising desire among young maidens to become housewives and not much in the way of scary foreign immigration to worry about, there's plenty of reason to think things will level off and Japan will reach a comfortable sustainable population- albeit one below the present population of the country. It's their nefarious neighbors that will be taking the bigger plunge.

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
Yeah, isn't that quaint?

That is not the word I would choose :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/mark-mellman/287789-relationship-of-parties-and-policies?utm_source=jolt&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Jolt&utm_campaign=Jolt06092015

QuoteWe presented respondents with two different education plans . . . half the sample was told A was the Democratic plan and B was the Republican plan, while the other half of our national sample was told A was the Republican plan and B was the Democrats' approach.

The questions dealt with substantive policy on a subject quite important to most Americans — education — and issues that people are familiar with — class size, teacher pay and the like.

Nonetheless, when the specifics in Plan A were presented as the Democratic plan and B as the Republican plan, Democrats preferred A by 75 percent to 17 percent, and Republicans favored B by 13 percent to 78 percent. When the exact same elements of A were presented in the exact same words, but as the Republicans' plan, and with B as the Democrats' plan, Democrats preferred B by 80 percent to 12 percent, while Republicans preferred "their party's plan" by 70 percent to 10 percent. Independents split fairly evenly both times. In short, support for an identical education plan shifted by more than 60 points among partisans, depending on which party was said to back it.

Big effect.

I blame the Republicans for this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2015, 09:33:33 AM
http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/mark-mellman/287789-relationship-of-parties-and-policies?utm_source=jolt&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Jolt&utm_campaign=Jolt06092015

QuoteWe presented respondents with two different education plans . . . half the sample was told A was the Democratic plan and B was the Republican plan, while the other half of our national sample was told A was the Republican plan and B was the Democrats' approach.

The questions dealt with substantive policy on a subject quite important to most Americans — education — and issues that people are familiar with — class size, teacher pay and the like.

Nonetheless, when the specifics in Plan A were presented as the Democratic plan and B as the Republican plan, Democrats preferred A by 75 percent to 17 percent, and Republicans favored B by 13 percent to 78 percent. When the exact same elements of A were presented in the exact same words, but as the Republicans' plan, and with B as the Democrats' plan, Democrats preferred B by 80 percent to 12 percent, while Republicans preferred "their party's plan" by 70 percent to 10 percent. Independents split fairly evenly both times. In short, support for an identical education plan shifted by more than 60 points among partisans, depending on which party was said to back it.

Big effect.

I blame the Republicans for this.

That study was prepared by a Democrat.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Um yeah this happens every time we switch Presidents.

QuoteI blame the Republicans for this.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

:D

It would be helpful if we knew how respondents were picked.  At various points they're described as Democrats/Republicans, at another as partisans.